GT40 Intake manifold swap...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, on Craigslist this morning I found an upper and lower GT40 intake manifold from an explorer that I am considering swapping on to my 1994 Mustang 5.0. Has anyone done this, and can comment on the results? I have heard mixed reviews but most seem to think that it does well at opening up more power. Also, the guy had it on a 1989 Fox Body 5.0 before, any issue bolting it onto mine? Thanks!

You will need the throttle body elbow adapter since you have a 94 GT. The GT40 is a good intake but if the rest of your motor is stock you wont gain much since the heads are the real bottleneck.

I had one on the 302 in my Lincoln that I swapped some milled E7's on with an alphabet cam and 1.7's. It was an upgrade from the original intake, but as another noted, the gains won't be huge since the E7TE's aren't great flowing heads. You will also need the Trickflow elbow adapter due to the SN95 throttle body placement.

Otherwise, it is pretty close to a direct bolt-in and if you've spun a wrench before, the swap is quite easy. Use the Felpro gasket kit, Ford Grey on the coolant passages and end pieces, and make sure you follow the torque sequence to get it properly snugged down.

Tip for getting the intake to seal is to use the ARP intake stud kit. It keeps the gaskets aligned when sliding the intake down. I have a set for my 95 GT and a few friends have used them and had no issues. Car Craft recommends them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back