What's up with the reverse lights on GM cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several times now I've passed a Chevy or GMC in parking lots and not known if they're going to back up or what. Afterwards I noticed the car's empty and it's just the stupid lights on. I assume they stay on for a bit after the car's been locked/unlocked. What's the point of such a design, except to confuse other drivers?

Last edited:
RKE and it should be illegal.

This is the same half witted engineering that leads drivers to turn on their fog lights with low beams then never turn them off. They hide the switch and obfuscate its purpose so the car looks cool just like all the others.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

X2.

Absolutely poor implementation. The high mount brake lamp + interior lamps would be much better if they feel the need to light the car up. Turning on the reverse lights of an unoccupied vehicle in a parking lot is dumb.

This is one of the stupidest features that GM has ever done. It infuriates me when I am walking in a parking lot and seeing backup lights on, I stop and wait for the car to back out, only to realize after a few moments that there is no one in the car. Argh! It raises my blood pressure just thinking about it.

One more reason why I hate GM vehicles so much!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
This is one of the stupidest features that GM has ever done. It infuriates me when I am walking in a parking lot and seeing backup lights on, I stop and wait for the car to back out, only to realize after a few moments that there is no one in the car. Argh! It raises my blood pressure just thinking about it.

One more reason why I hate GM vehicles so much!!!!!!!!!!!!
You must hate your Oldsmobile alot then!

Last edited:
I am not surprised some find this stupid here on BITOG. Since some also feel ABS, lane departure warnings, etc., are stupid as well.

Originally Posted By: CKN
I am not surprised some find this stupid here on BITOG. Since some also feel ABS, lane departure warnings, etc., are stupid as well.

Abs and lane departure warnings dont inconvenience other people around you.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Several times now I've passed a Chevy or GMC in parking lots and not known if they're going to back up or what. Afterwards I noticed the car's empty and it's just the stupid lights on. I assume they stay on for a bit after the car's been locked/unlocked. What's the point of such a design, except to confuse other drivers?

I hear ya...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...s_s#Post3939434

Reverse lamps indicate a specific intention to other drivers. Other drivers tend to be looking for them when driving through parking lots. How does it make sense to use these lamps for a completely different purpose at the same time? Lane departure warning is pretty dumb, because people should be paying attention, but at least it doesn't turn the reverse lights on while you're driving down the interstate.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

X2.

Absolutely poor implementation. The high mount brake lamp + interior lamps would be much better if they feel the need to light the car up. Turning on the reverse lights of an unoccupied vehicle in a parking lot is dumb.

Agreed, but we all know, ALL KNOW why they did this(?).... to save $$$ Seriously they could have designed a separate light module for cheap for the ambient lighting. A bulb, lens and housing is not that expensive... instead it's like they did this after the fact, using the reverse light is incredibly stupid.

This is the same half witted engineering that leads drivers to turn on their fog lights with low beams then never turn them off. They hide the switch and obfuscate its purpose so the car looks cool just like all the others.

I'll admit I'm guilty of driving with my fog lights on pretty often especially on dark rural roads and highways. It really helps light up the front corners of the vehicle. It really helps spotting deer and animals on the edge of the roadway.

I do. And hopefully I never have to drive a car with all those new do-dads on them. With a 1999 and 2002 I'm currently avoiding them.

I've got fog lights on my 1999 SS and have yet to turn them on since the day I bought the car. I've never found them to help unless you're actually in fog....which never happens since the car only goes out in the day time during nice weather.

The GM backup 'courtesy lights' might seem like a great idea for when you're parking in your driveway in rural (Locale) with at least a mile to the nearest street lamp, but everywhere else they are just cancer.

They're an absolute distraction and an extra thought process for all motorists around the parked GM and it's only because of these vehicles that you now have to train yourself to disregard them if the brake lights are also not on and the vehicle is not creeping back which can also be a real learning curve to people not privy to GMs special feature.

LOL. I think some on here don't use the FM band on their radio and don't see why they have to pay for it.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

I do. And hopefully I never have to drive a car with all those new do-dads on them. With a 1999 and 2002 I'm currently avoiding them.

I well remember people whining about the cars around that time period having too many new "do-dads" on them. Thanks for the laugh!

There are already threads on this exact topic. GM has been doing this for over a decade now... Not really a big deal...

Thus is seriously ridiculous. The lights are adjustable. You can shut them off. Oh such poor engineering. If you see a car with it's back up lights on but the brake lights aren't on........chances are they are not backing up. Its a helpful feature that I value especially when walking to your car at night. This is just another GM bashing thread by a bunch of people that hate no matter what they do. Get a life

Originally Posted By: DevilsRule
Thus is seriously ridiculous. The lights are adjustable. You can shut them off. Oh such poor engineering. If you see a car with it's back up lights on but the brake lights aren't on........chances are they are not backing up. Its a helpful feature that I value especially when walking to your car at night. This is just another GM bashing thread by a bunch of people that hate no matter what they do. Get a life

No one shuts them off though so that doesn't even matter. Yeah, the brake lights are a tell, but its still enough to make me pause at times.

Im a hater by profession.

I drive with my low beams and fog lights on during the day because it makes people look twice and actually see me for sure.
Daytime driving lights cut down on accidents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back