UOA - 2012 GM L96 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time lurker of the site here. Finally did a UOA on our 2012 Suburban 6.0. Should there be concern over the Copper? Given other wear metals are not elevated, not sure how to interpret the Copper value. Thanks for any input.

00001.jpg

Not sure I'd extend the interval any. I'd go 7k miles and do another UOA. What oil did you use for this oci? How long was the oil in use? Was any towing or a lot of short trips done? The Iron reading seems high even though it's under the universal average.

You may want to try some MaxLife 5w30 and compare the results.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Not sure I'd extend the interval any. I'd go 7k miles and do another UOA. What oil did you use for this oci? How long was the oil in use? Was any towing or a lot of short trips done? The Iron reading seems high even though it's under the universal average.

You may want to try some MaxLife 5w30 and compare the results.

Thanks, I have no plan to extend the OCI, I was mainly concerned with determining if the GM oil life system was something for me to trust with it going the 7,000 - 7,500 range regularly. That range works out to be 3 - 4 months and works perfectly with my desire to rotate tires and check the truck over in general. Truck is daily driver, no towing of any significance at this time. I am running M1 5w30 High Mileage Full Syn. This OCI was approx 3.5 months.

Zinc and phosphorous levels are way off for this to be Mobil 1 High Mileage SL rated. Something is not right. Nominal for zinc is 1100 and 1000 for phosphorous. UOA shows SN/SM levels of phosphorous between 600 and 800. The phosphorous and zinc levels are more like Mobil 1 SN. The chart below is dated February 2016.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide-2016.pdf

Yes the GM OLM works good if you're using the correct oil or better.

I don't see any reason you couldn't extend here if you had to. Copper is nothing to worry about its typical with GM.

Try Pennzoil Platinum high mileage next
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back