Uh oh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This past winter I had driven through some water more than a few outings and after deer season I changed all fluids. Yet I didn't drain the rear brakes. There is that lower bolt that can be removed.

Little did I know the mechanism for the foot control/hand brake for the rear brakes spring may have locked up !!! Today at a bad time.

I have glanced at a YouTube video on how to change the shoes myself and I'm pretty positive I can change the shoes easily. I have the repair manual for many atv models that includes this 300 fourtrax '91 model...

I knew this was going to happen sooner or later, but today it did. Thankfully I wasn't where I would have to get it out of a road, trail, or any bad spot.

The atv cannot be moved or I'll really break something. I'm probably going to have to put the rear wheels on a dolly of some sort even if it's a furniture dolly.

The shoes are locked in place on the drum.

The great thing about it the front brakes haven't worked in a long time and I think I might do a full brake job.

For a 25yr old fourwheeler. It's a great machine and brakes just like everything else wear out. In this case because water finally got in again through a seal or a vent hose for the brakes.

Is bikebandit the best place to get aftermarket or OEM parts or ??? . I'm not going to bother with a dealer.

Last edited:
Well, after some convincing I was able to rock it forward and backwards to then finally get it in reverse to haul a to concrete to work on... I'm shade which is important and on concrete. The axle should break free easily after the lock nut and nut that is against the brake hub housing. Then WITHOUT using any spray I am hoping it won't be too rusted solid on the inside. But I know it can be since it locked up the other day. I bet I can get this whole project done in less than 2hrs if not an hour.

Once I get a diagram of the brakes to get the parts I'll have my fourwheeler back. Better me to do this than $85 whatever shop labor. Plus wait time to get it back!!

What's bad is my big crescent, monkey wrench and sockets are 4hrs away where they are used more.

Last time the brakes needed work like this was after a river sandbar run 16yrs ago. A group of 14 of us and 7 atvs had a great outing. But three or four of us had to get work done on our fourwheelers, not quads, because down here they are just called fourwheelers.

PB blaster and channel locks will have to do!

On previous post. The water outings were due to a very wet hunting season. Water crossings were next to impossible.

Last edited:
Had my Bronco door deep in water a few weeks ago in the Oregon Dunes. Was fresh water, not salt thank goodness. But this thread reminds me to break down the rear brakes and clean them out before they go bad (again).

Clean all with wire brush. Use a smear of hi-temp grease on the shoe contact pads. Use never seize on the self adjuster "star" threads. Should be OK ...

If not will go further in ...

U give great advice, bronc. My dad years ago just had a '86 bronco II with stick shift. Burned too much oil before he traded it in for a xj. The older Broncos kick bum. Great machines for the classic ride and to show off. Same goes for old Land cruisers. Or better yet jeep scramblers. I saw one of these last year and the owner selling it wanted $30,000. If I were buy that. Take the 6 out and put a small v8 in!!! When watching "the a-team" when I was younger made me think that having a jeep or two or three would be fun. It is!

Something that came to mind is are the brake shoes still contain abestos? I will not mess with this unless I want to save the $200 if not more to have a shop do this. I just will not used brake cleaner on anything. I'll will also wear a small respirator if needed so.

Those years ago I think it was about $300 with parts and tax included.

Fixed. Shoes separated from metal. It was better to take it and have done than do it myself. Quick service dept, too. Especially for a dealer. Reasonably priced for labor.

Just working on replacing the the front bearings and possibly the boots myself now.

Originally Posted By: southernjeeper
I bet I can get this whole project done in less than 2hrs if not an hour.

I'd have taken that bet.

Fixed.Quick service dept, too.

Tricky! Almost got me there.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
I bet I can get this whole project done in less than 2hrs if not an hour.

I'd have taken that bet.

Fixed.Quick service dept, too.

Tricky! Almost got me there.

Wish I never said anything then. Well, the fast service was probably because they laughed at the bumper sticker and agreed to it. I gave them about 12 of them. Ha!

I didn't have two wrenches to take on the two lock nuts on axle.

That's it. That's is WHY I didn't do it myself. The only reason because they were at where they were.

I take care of most all my toys and gas engine tools. I help out with some other projects as needed.

The brakes were something I was going to do, but it was due to two wrenches that I wasn't going to buy again. Now that I have them I could have but some projects are best to get in to a shop than have some patience. I did. It was easier to pay and get it back faster. That is all. I rather of paid for fast service before fall/winter due to all the other toys they get in as season gets going.

One of my projects is something that most of y'all would be impressed with.
Budget project, but a thrill to drive. I have been pleased to have found it when I did.
Older atvs are more fun to drive anyhow. Reliable and less ELECTRONIC [censored] to short out and cause electrical problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back