Oil question for 385 Stroker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this goes here in this topic.Im new at computer stuff till this day-lolo-----Anyway i just found yalls site and it looks pretty cool.
I have a little 86 s10 blazer that is not street use truck.I only run at a small 1/8th mile track probably 5 or 6 times a year.I have been 7.26 with it.It has turbo 350 with a 4500 stall and a ford 8.8 with 4.88 gear. i shift out 5600.Its got a roller cam and I have a Qft 750 Dp on 112 race fuel.I have always ran wix filters on all my products.I have been looking into changing oil to something with higher zinc(lucas hot rod shows 2100 zddp but,looks like lucas has a bad name.Some of my friends are running rotella t.--they is several rotellas but,confussed at the 4,5 and 6 rating.-I also was looking at renegade which is 3000 in zddp but hard to get here.Can anyone help me out on this.Thanks kenny
photo.php

Last edited:
What makes you think you need high zinc? You have a roller cam, you just need a high quality oil. Pennzoil Ultra 10w30 if your clearances are stock. Do you have good oil pressure on 30 grades?

If you have crazy loose clearances, Mobil 1 15w50 is good and available in jugs at Walmart.

With a roller cam, zddp is less of a concern. 1000ppm of Phosphorous would work fine.

How much valve lift?
What are the valve spring loads?
What is the compression ratio?
What are the bearing clearances?

My vote is a good synthetic 10w30 such as Pennzoil Ultra, Castrol Edge, or Mobil 1 or an HDEO Semisynthetic 10w30 or or full synthetic 5w40 such as Rotella or Delo.

I only use BradPenn on my race chevys,I prefer the 20/50 for power adder engines
10/40 for NA,WIX filters are fine,Moroso and Napa Golds,K&N,Fram Race

Been building and racing chevys for 25 years Brad Penn is what you want

Last edited:
If you did not have a roller cam, I would say Pennzoil GT racing oil would be my go to. But you have a roller cam and even if you are running crazy spring pressure you should be fine with a HDEO or Mobil 1 15w50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back