CA no longer shows emission results on Smog Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got one last week for the 91 Mazda. Got the standard printout I have always gotten with all the results. My father's, back in March, just got a pass/fail printout. Maybe a thing dealing with the shop? I find the numbers helpful on an older car so I can see what is up and what to what for next check.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tbm3fan
Just got one last week for the 91 Mazda. Got the standard printout I have always gotten with all the results. My father's, back in March, just got a pass/fail printout. Maybe a thing dealing with the shop? I find the numbers helpful on an older car so I can see what is up and what to what for next check.

I had my cars at the same shop for the last 8-10 years. The last 3-5 years I had standard printout for 1-2 cars for 1 time and pass/fail for others on the same year, then it reversed.

I have no idea what changes from 1 time to the next.

In my opinion, this pollution testing/certification is probably a bad thing. It might have been useful when car's were carbureted but not now.

Every car has to be driven to the test. This creates pollution.
The testing employees, and administration staff, drivng/working there create pollution.
The manufacture of the test equipment and the use of, creates pollution.
The older cars that create the most pollution are exempt from tests in many jurisdictions.
A modern car won't run correctly if something is wrong and thus there is already an incentive to get it fixed.
Older cars that pollute usually get taken off the road for other reasons.

I'd like to see some accounting of all these variables.

If a car is belching smoke they would be spotted by law enforcement and they should send them in for testing.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
In my opinion, this pollution testing/certification is probably a bad thing. It might have been useful when car's were carburator but not now.

I'd like to see some accounting of all these variables.

If a car is belching smoke they would be spotted by law enforcement and they should send them in for testing.

The current smog test in California is obsoleted, but bureaucrats want to keep it.

Few years a someone demonstrated a mobile smog test on on-ramps of few highways, it can detect grossly polluters as it drove by and it captured license plate. This devices is a little expensive but save drivers a lot of headaches.

We are willing to pay $30-50/year to DMV for no smog test, they can use this fund to buy tons mobile smog test($30 x 30 millions car is $900 millions a year), and they can use this fund to rid grossly polluters and provide owners brand new cars.

I remember reading some years ago that the worse smog violators can pollute up to 1,000 new cars certified as ultra low emission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back