drain plug ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a 2014 Yamaha Road Star and was wondering weather I can use an anodized aluminum drain plug or does it have to be steel?

Will a magnet stick to the one that is on there?

Yes, you can use an aluminum one in place of a steel one, but you'd better remember that when you go to tighten it.

I`m not that concerned with the magnet. On a Road Star they have 3 oil bolts one for the gear oil, one kind of mounted on the side between the frame that has a larger head on it that is a bit of struggle to get a wrench on. A plug with a smaller head would make it easier to apply a wrench. That is the one I`m most concerned about. And a third plug on the bottom side which is easy to get at as long as you aren`t raised up on a jack blocking its access. If I park the cycle front wheel on a 2x10 board I can get to all of them. I sprayed them with some red paint when I did my first oil change to make them easier to spot when I did future changes.On Ebay some of the cheaper oil drain plugs are the anodized aluminum plugs in colors, those are what I`m considering.Just was wondering weather they hold up ok and are compatible ?

As long as the torque specs are low you should be okay. I would not trust cheap (code for low end Chinese usually) ebay bolts to hold much, especially aluminum ones which can be god know what alloy. Anodizing helps surface harden them some, but they may be a super soft alloy underneath prone to deforming or breaking.

Last edited:
I don't like aluminum drain plugs. Your crush washer is usually aluminum or copper. I don't want a drain plug anywhere near as soft as the crush washer that needs to compress slightly to ensure a good seal.... Call me crazy.

I like magnetized drain plugs. They have never given me a problem and they do seem to collect a lot of [censored]. Local motorcycle shops usually have moose or bike master brands of magnetic drain plugs. Neither has ever given me a problem. The Moose brand seems to be a little better fit and finish. If you really want the best in magnetic drain plugs, check out Gold plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back