Better to gas up in wet weather or hot humid days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most stations have under-ground tanks, their temperature don't change much with ambience temperature. Stations with heavy traffic such as Costco gasoline don't stay in the hose or the pump long enough to make any difference. If there is any difference in volume, probably no more than 0.1-0.2% with high traffic stations.

It makes absolutely no difference. The tanks are underground where the temperature and humidity are fairly constant. There are some people who still believe the myth that you should fill up when it's cool outside, but that's simply nonsense. Any expansion or contraction of gasoline due to temperature shifts, for the small amount that is in the tank of a vehicle, is so minuscule as to be nonexistent. Combine that with the minuscule expansion and contraction that will take place in the tank of the vehicle, and it makes the idea of filling up in the morning to try to get more from the pump because of the outside ambient air temperature another ridiculous myth.

Usually when the gauge is down to ~1/4...wet = humid for some.

My relatively minuscule hydrocarbon consumption is actually quite affordable in the overall budgeting scheme for business and personal use.

Buy gas when you need gas. Doesn't matter when or if they're getting a fuel drop. Worrying about that stuff means you have no other problems, so congrats!

or live in SoCal where its never hot and humid or wet ;-P but the gas is always expensive.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Buy gas when you need gas. Doesn't matter when or if they're getting a fuel drop. Worrying about that stuff means you have no other problems, so congrats!

or live in SoCal where its never hot and humid or wet ;-P but the gas is always expensive.

Yup makes no difference since almost all tanks are underground. I just try and fill up on the way home from work at one of 2 Shell stations on either side of the freeway.

I fill up when I need gas, and try and avoid doing so in the rain. I'd rather not get wet.

I've wondered if in high humidity (i.e low dewpoint), the cooler gas would cause any condensation in the tank? That said, the only time I won't get gas is while the tanker is filling the tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back