No more VR-1 in Calif ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Valvoline VR1 Outdated? aren't most versions of VR1 API SM? ridiculous

10w30 VR1 is SH due to the high zddp content. SH is an obsolete spec. But VR1 is a modern formulation, it just has zddp content above any current spec.
20w50 VR1 is SM because 40 weight and higher don't have zddp limits in API specifications.

No, I remember reading a statement from some stupid California representative specifically addressing the fact that certain racing oils designed for old engines were going to get caught up in this nonsense. This individual seemed quite adamant that a "modern" oil would do a better job of protecting an old or racing engine than certain "obsolete" oils.

I remember wanting to find that guy and punch him in the face.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
If VR1 weren't API certified , could they stil ban it?

That's a good question; hence my questioning about some real information about this matter. No matter how such a law is written, it obviously is going to nail some very well intentioned companies selling legitimate products. You sell on older certified racing oil, and you're selling an obsolete specification. If they target uncertified oils, then you're nailing legitimate racing oils that never sought API specification in the first place.

Let this be a lesson for the PQIA down the road. If you request government assistance, you may get a lot more than you bargained for.

So what is the hot rodding scene in California going to use? California is the location of Hot Rod magazine, but I've seen no writing of the matter in recent issues. I don't imagine this is a one and done deal, as I expect organizations like SEMA will be pushing for a revision of this mandate. I would also expect Valvoline to push back against this. Thoughts?

Doubtful Valvoline will do much about it. Glad I have some SL VR1 from last years Autozone blowout as I have some SAE 40,50 and some 10w30 and 20w50. I wouldn't be surprised if some riders used Rotella or Delo stuff

Why wouldn't they? One of their products has been deemed obsolete and unsuitable, and it isn't. As I've said, I don't use it, but I know a lot of people who do, and it's a perfectly good oil that is being wrongly banned. I think they care enough to question it, if not fight back. Then again, you could be right, and maybe they sell enough elsewhere that losing California is no big deal. If people want it bad enough, they'll go out of state and buy it.

Yeah, not even eBay if it's a lister using a wholesaler. Had that one cancelled too
frown.gif

Broc, did you ever decide for sure what to use in place of VR1? Last I heard it was either Rotella or Delo SAE 30, but you were checking availability and pricing from local distributors. No updates to the "Best SAE30" thread in the PCMO section.

Keep voting in them Libs in, and that's what happens. I have relatives that live in Cali. It's a beautiful state, but the government is regulating it out of control. Sad..

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Why not just add in a ZDDP additive?

Depending on the application, too much is bad, and it's just makes a mess out of what was simple.

Since California has smog problems, they are doing every thing they can to reduce emissions, or keep it to a minimum. All those traffic jams would be a good start. I use to haul freight to CA, and LA 15 years looked like a cesspool from above easily seen from the hills coming in to LA.

I work at O'Riellys in Monrovia CA and we have plenty of VR1. I had to relable the certifications to clarify high zinc but other then that nothing has changed. Libs aren't taking away your precious oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back