Suburban 5.3L Fram TGA 40k miles/3.5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the Fram Tough Guard air filter I changed out of the Suburban this afternoon. It had been in for just over 40,000 miles and 3 1/2 years and the filter minder showed that it was still good. I was going to take it out to 50k miles but decided to change it while changing the oil and fuel filter today ahead of my move next weekend. I live in a windy and dusty area and will be moving to another windy and dusty area so I decided to stick with the lightly oiled Tough Guard filter. The junk on the ground in front of the filter in the first pic is some of the foam that helps seal the intake housing inlet, which is starting to fall apart. I also had to vacuum some of it out of the housing. I did not take photos of the area between the pleats but it pretty much looked the same as DriveHard's filter here. It seemed to hold up really well, with no media deformation, the two glue lines were fully intact, and the gasket was plenty pliable. You can see in the second photo that some of the gasket edges are a little sloppy but the integrity of the filter did not seam to be compromised. Overall, I am pleased with the service I got out of it.

I applied a little dielectric grease to the gasket-housing mating surface when installing the new filter to help ensure a good seal. I also cleaned the MAF sensor and throttle body while I was at it.

20160709_134131_zpszuqhmmog_edit_1468112094195_zpssgontcfi.jpg

20160709_134048_zpsljjjq5ri_edit_1468112173264_zpscotfmdck.jpg

If the restriction gauge didn't move.....There is no reason too change it, Air filters become more efficient as they load up. I change the filter on my Duramax when the gauge starts to creep that occurs in the 50,000-70,000 mile range.

I wouldn't use a restriction gauge. Isn't it just a cheap little spring loaded thing? Who knows if it even works?

Air filters are cheap

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Is that dirt or mold from getting water/moisture?

It's just really dark dirt, as far as I could tell. It came off pretty easily so I doubt it was mold.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
No pics of the clean side? Was the seal still pliable and intact? That's what you need to watch for with a filter minder

Sorry, didn't think of getting a pic of the clean side. I dug it out of the trash and the clean side looked a lighter shade of yellow but looked good overall.

Yes, the seal was in good condition.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I wouldn't use a restriction gauge. Isn't it just a cheap little spring loaded thing? Who knows if it even works?

Air filters are cheap

That cheap looking gauge came stock on my '10 $130k truck. Most OTR trcks and all the off road equipment that I've seen/driven had a air filter restriction gauge. Just like who would spend $85 or more for a spark plug?, someone who flys a plane that calls for that plug.

ROD

I have an original issue Gauge in my '01 Suburban too. These are used (and trusted) in heavy truck engines routinely.

Inexpensive =/= cheap.
A bit of spring steel and plastic carefully made can be pretty accurate.
"Who knows if it even works?" Anyone who understands the straightforward physics of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back