Advantage in using a upper cylinder lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wondered if people thought there was an advantage in running something like Marvel Mystery oil in the gas on a motorcycle?

I use TCW-3 in all my vehicles including the motorcycle and love it! The fuel in my state is mandated E-10 for the last several years, just as a point of reference.

I actually notice the most improvement with the motorcycle than I do any other vehicle in my sig. For my bike, it majorly smoothed out the idle (seemed to slow it down also, very strange), makes it start faster and my factory LCD display is reading about 2 mpg more since I started using it. I went from 40.5 mpg to 42.4 mpg with no change in anything, only adding TCW-3. I also notice a slight improvement in responsiveness and a slight decrease in overall engine vibrations. As well, I noticed that the very light coating of soot/carbon on the end of the exhaust tip is now totally clean and spotless, without me ever touching it. My last motorcycle, a Kawi KLR 650 which burned a little bit of oil between changes, completely stopped burning oil once I started adding TCW-3 to the gas.

There are plenty of haters who will come in and blast me for suggesting it but hey..... haterz gunna hate...... lol

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I wondered if people thought there was an advantage in running something like Marvel Mystery oil in the gas on a motorcycle?

Yes, people do think that.
smile.gif

People whose opinions I generally respect (because they have the knowledge to back them up) have spoken highly about UCLs in some cases. I remember this coming up for people who run E85, and in certain engines when they run normal E10. Can't remember details beyond that.

TCW3 as a UCL and mild combustion chamber cleaner is accepted as beneficial on BITOG, nobody says otherwise that I know of.

Most people just get tired of transferring it into small bottles and using it every tank.

I am one of those people, got fed up of adding it to my tank, but loved the results when used regularly.

I use MMO in my car to help lubricate the fuel pump it also seems to help the car start easier (being serious) when I got my car it was normal to have to turn it over 7+ times to start. Even had one time where it took 13 tries. I've had the thing for about a year and a half used MMO every tank (and several other injector cleaners over that period of time) but the car starts up first time every time now.

Originally Posted By: Falken

Most people just get tired of transferring it into small bottles and using it every tank.

I use a 5 oz lucas fuel treatment bottle for all the cars and trucks because it is the perfect size for the doses a normal sized vehicle uses. I use a 1 oz star tron "quick shot" bottle for the motorcycle because I am usually only dosing a half to 1 once per fill up.

I also add the tcw-3 at home unless I am on a longer trip, then I do it at the gas station.

I like the results too much to let myself fall out of favor with it, especially in the motorcycle.

I use an old Stabil bottle...they are available in 32oz. and a smaller size, perfect.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Is TCW3 just marine two stroke oil?

Yes, there was a thread on the LS1 board started years ago by Sarge a member here. Lots of good info about it there.

i think i have posted several times that on back to back to back dyno runs it has been proven that MMO can increase hp because of better ring sealing.
of course we were not running pump swill either.
ymmv

MMO is a fairly useless fuel additive, it might be cheap but you get what you pay for.

What type of wear are you trying to reduce ??

I have a 2002 BMW R1150RS, which consistently gets 2 mpg more using MMO. I had a 82 S10 that consistently got 3 mpg more using MMO. But my 2009 R1200GS gets the same mileage.

Rod

I use mmo in my fuel from time to time. Idk if it does a thing but it sure makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Grin

Last edited:
The reason for using a TCW3 spec oil as a UCL is that it's ashless so it leaves no deposits when it burns. I used it for several years, not for mpg improvement but because it eliminated mild pinging. TCW3 is a very low cost additive and even if it doesn't perform miracles it seems to me a little lubricity in the fuel must be good for corrosion protection in the tank and reducing wear in the carb slides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back