Valuable lesson learned..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. I just wanted to recount a pretty scary mishap that occured to me this week. So I was off this week, loaded up my corolla with. Stuff for a little trip, added a bit of air in my tires to 34 psi all around. Tires were pirelli p7's with 5-6/32nds remaining (on 4th season with them in size 225/45/17. When the car is empty or just a few people I never had any rub from fenders on the tires but when heavily packed and I hit a dip in the road the back tires would scrape the sidewalls. I had intended on rolling the fenders but didnt get around to it. It only created a slight cut around the tire, nothing deep at all and it rarely occured.. One hour into my drive going 70mph about 120km/h, I lost control as the car swerved side to side but luckily I was able to get it to the side of the road without further incident. My back driver side tire ripped apart and left me on the side of the road. I ended up renting a truck for remainder of my trip will review it inanother post. I just wanted to share this so nobody else makes the same mistake as me. I replaced them with a narrower 215/45/17 tire (Cooper Zeon RS3-A). I used to have michellins with a 215 and they were stretched onto the rim and they didnt rub.. Ironically these Coopers are not stretched which makes me wish I went with a 205 and not 215 since it still rubs.. Ugh.. Frustrated with myself over this but am setting a priority to roll my fenders next so my mishap wont happen again. Should of known about rim width before buying the rims.. Im learning the hard way... Just so everyone is aware how little of something can really destroy the integrity of a tire and cause an extremely dangerous situation.

1zz6mat.jpg

I dont have a pic but other side of my tire resembled this: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4146712/Re:_What_would_cause_this_tire#Post4146712

Last edited:
Well I am assuming that it resulted in the tire to end up like that. I inflated tire when cold to 34 psi and it was very hot out and was travelling heavy at 70mph..only assuming that the rubbing weakened the tire resulting in that occuring. At the time it occured I didnt hit any dips so can only make an assumption. Wish i kept the destroyed tire but i did keep 2 of the ones that were still ok.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
According to Tire Rack, the choices for a 2007 Corolla is:

195/65-15
205/55-16
205/50-17
215/40-18
225/30-20

Those don't look like stock rims. I bet the offset is different making them more likely for the tire to rub the fender

Buy a set of used steelies for the corolla, and get some OEM replica hubcaps.

Thats what I did to our Matrix.

Don't think its the type of the car that requires aftermarket wheels.

You were going to look cool when killing yourself and probably others.
Luckily you were able to control the car, what if it were raining?
Correct tire size on wrong offset wheels does not work.
All parts of the tire/wheel combo must fit the vehicle.

Krzys

Have you rolled the fenders? They make special tools that mount to the hub and you work it in a circle and bend in the inside of the fender. Eastwood makes a special tool for it, or else if you are confident in your ability you can use a baseball bat inbetween the tire and the fender.

Originally Posted By: Fsharp
Those don't look like stock rims. I bet the offset is different making them more likely for the tire to rub the fender

There's something to be said for keeping a car stock ...

I have winter tires on my stock steelies and wanted a seperate set for summer so I got mags instead of another set of steelies. Thought they would look nicer.. I bought the car used, hadI bought new I would of bought it with mags from the dealer.. I did buy these in 2010-2011.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Have you rolled the fenders? They make special tools that mount to the hub and you work it in a circle and bend in the inside of the fender. Eastwood makes a special tool for it, or else if you are confident in your ability you can use a baseball bat inbetween the tire and the fender.

Yep, Im going to try with a baseball bat, I assume the cost of the tool would not make it worth one use.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I have winter tires on my stock steelies and wanted a seperate set for summer so I got mags instead of another set of steelies. Thought they would look nicer.. I bought the car used, hadI bought new I would of bought it with mags from the dealer.. I did buy these in 2010-2011.

That leaves me and the rest of the world wondering why you didn't get the "mags" the same size as the "stock steelies" ...

^^EXACTLY^^ Glad you're alive and all that happy horse manure but WTH do you need to "fancy up" on a budget....ohh, never mind. Just don't do it again.

Last edited:

Ironically, in the Fiesta ST performance world, enthusiasts install -2 diameter wheels (but +1' to 1.5" widths, i.e.; 15 x 8s/8.5s, vs. 17 x 7 stock) to save weight, have a taller sidewall for impact resistance without losing too much 'turn-in' response, and have a GREATER choice of performance tires (believe it or not on that last reason
wink.gif
).

well I chose 17" for mine, whih is the smallest that fits over the brakes. 18" tyres are the same width anyway. I get a lot more choice in tyre sizes and a bit more sidewall.

I used to drive a vw golf or rabbit as they are known in the u.s ..it was fitted with alloys and lowered for looks and better handling .No problems driving around in it until passengers sat in the back seat resulting in the tires rubbing the arch...didn't realise this until picking up friends for a camping expedition...the aluminium spacers between the wheel and hubs were also an absolute nightmare to allign when changing wheels or replacing during maintenance..lot to be said about keeping it stock..at the end of our driving a groove had been cut into the tire from the arch...never again

This problem isn't anything new. Some of us learned our lesson back when there was only a few choices in aftermarket tire/wheel combinations and long before we had the internet to help. This is the reason many tire stores won't install anything but what the book says is correct for your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back