2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Castrol Edge 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

We got hit hard by a strong pollen storm back in March, so thats what he's referring to in the notes.

I don't do my own oil changes because my home owners association would have a stroke (sucks I can't work on my car but hey, I don't have to do any yard work!)and my local mechanic usually has oil change specials. I wanted to try a synthetic to see what the wear numbers would come out to and I like what I see. The previous oil samples were Kendal Synthetic blend and Castrol GTX both 5w-20. I think I may stick with a synthetic for now on.

Last edited:
Looks great! I wonder about this titanium thing tough. The minute amounts I always see in their current formula,I don't see how it can be the least bit substantial and pertinent. Syntec/Edge was my favorite oil,but Walmart no longer sells it in the weight my car requires.

I have looked at thousands of oil samples in the last 15 years. Yours is right up there. Make this your regular oil. You could go longer on this oil change. Just keep the oil level up.

I wonder what's in these new Castrol formulations to put up wear rates like they have been the past 6 months. Is the their secret titanium additive that effective in low concentrations.

Originally Posted By: Al
I have looked at thousands of oil samples in the last 15 years. Yours is right up there. Make this your regular oil. You could go longer on this oil change. Just keep the oil level up.

As much as I'd like to, I'll try go for the best deal on synthetic. We'll see if castrol or my shop has a deal going.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Awesome report. I don't see why you couldnt go 10k miles or more.

I suppose I could but I try to time my oil changes with my tire rotations (6K miles). I also consider the integrity of the filter, since I'm at the mercy of whatever the shop puts on.

Last edited:
Thank you sir for the awesome report
smile.gif
. I would love to see this UOA with Magnatec 5w20
smile.gif

Thank you again

Originally Posted By: car51
Thank you sir for the awesome report
smile.gif
. I would love to see this UOA with Magnatec 5w20
smile.gif

Thank you again