Castrol Edge 10W-30 in Australia

Hey VO,

Good to hear you are going to give the 10W-30 a try, let us know of you notice any difference between it and the HX8.

Yeah, I've seen the sale, but I'm trying to be strong. I already have 30L of synthetic oil in my stash and fresh oil in my sump.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Hey VO,

Good to hear you are going to give the 10W-30 a try, let us know of you notice any difference between it and the HX8.

Yeah, I've seen the sale, but I'm trying to be strong. I already have 30L of synthetic oil in my stash and fresh oil in my sump.

Will change the oil in couple of weeks and see how it goes.

I cant stock up on oil. Álways buy when on sale though.

Sounds great, Virgin. Seems like a reasonable price you got, too.

Temps in most of W.A. (yeah, its my home state too) don't ever get that cold to need too thin of an oil, so this should perform well. The nice HTHS value, even though its slightly lower, should help with the old 3800. I understand the low-end is where the engine is working oil the hardest.

Be curious to see whether this engine ever shears anything like this oil out of grade, or wears the oil quickly from a small sump capacity. I'll have to go look up a UOA for a Commodore or Buick-equivalent.

The Edge 10w30 is quite well.

Edge 10w30 start up clatter noise is approx 2-3 secs longer than the Shell Helix 5w-30.

I will try the Castrol Edge 5w30 Euro A3 next time.

Are the 5w-30 oils now on par with 10w-30 for shear.

Harmon Index for the
Castrol Edge 5w30 Euro A3 is approx 0.94 compared to Castrol Edge 10w30 is approx 0.96

Approx the 2% difference

Is the Castrol Edge 5w30 Euro A3 unlikley to shear in the 35 to 40 degrees Celsius West Australian summers

Last edited:
Thanks for the update VO.

The Edge 5W-30 is A3/B4, BMW LL-01 and MB 229.5 That is a few tough OEM specs, so I would expect it to perform well. It also has a KV100 = 12.0 and KV40 = 71.8, the HX8 is very similar at 11.9 and 71.7 respectively.

The Edge 10W-30 A5/B5 has KV100 = 10.5 and KV40 = 66.2 cSt, so I thought it would start quiet easy on a warm day. But, I haven't tried it myself yet.

I would imagine compared against Edge 10W30 A5B5, the Edge 5W30 A3B4 would be relatively more shear-stable , and may possibly be clatter free with its higher Hths of 3.6 cP.
Just guessing though.
blush.gif

The Edge 5W-30 is A3/B4, BMW LL-01 and MB 229.5 That is a few tough OEM specs, so I would expect it to perform well. It also has a KV100 = 12.0 and KV40 = 71.8, the HX8 is very similar at 11.9 and 71.7 respectively.

The Edge 10W-30 A5/B5 has KV100 = 10.5 and KV40 = 66.2 cSt, so I thought it would start quiet easy on a warm day. But, I haven't tried it myself yet.

Harmon Index are corrected below
Castrol Edge 5w30 Euro A3 is approx 0.96 compared to Castrol Edge 10w30 is approx 0.94
ie 5w-30 is slightly higher than the 10w-30 which means less VIs for the 5w30 ?.

It been quite cold in WA around 3-5 deg C every morning.

Yep I will try the Castrol Edge 5w30 Euro A3 with the MB 229.5 and BMW LL-01 approvals

If Edge is not upto par I will go back to the HX8 oils

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zeng
I would imagine compared against Edge 10W30 A5B5, the Edge 5W30 A3B4 would be relatively more shear-stable , and may possibly be clatter free with its higher Hths of 3.6 cP.
Just guessing though.
blush.gif

I will try next oil change and get eliminate the guess work.

Originally Posted By: virginoil

Harmon Index are corrected below
Castrol Edge 5w30 Euro A3 is approx 0.96 compared to Castrol Edge 10w30 is approx 0.94
ie 5w-30 is slightly higher than the 10w-30 which means less VIs for the 5w30 ?.

It been quite cold in WA around 3-5 deg C every morning.

Yep I will try the Castrol Edge 5w30 Euro A3 with the MB 229.5 and BMW LL-01 approvals

If Edge is not upto par I will go back to the HX8 oils

Do you have the hths viscosity for the edge 10w30? a5/b5 means between 2.9 and 3.5 cP

Australian Castrol Edge 10W-30 (API SN, ACEA A5/B5, ILSAC GF-5)
Vis 40C = 66.2
Vis 100C = 10.47
Pour Point = -36C
TBN = 11.2
HTHS = 3.2

Hey sr5, the castrol edge 10w30 is currently 39.99 at repco till sept 11 in case you weren't aware
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: KL31
Hey sr5, the castrol edge 10w30 is currently 39.99 at repco till sept 11 in case you weren't aware
laugh.gif

Thanks mate. Yes 30% OFF sale for the 10W30 Edge at Repco, and I just picked some up. It's the first ILSAC oil I have ever purchased, I'm more an A3/B4 sort of guy. But given they way my car is now driven, more short trips than long hauls, I think this oil should suit my current driving patterns.

Originally Posted By: KL31
laugh.gif

Thanks mate. Yes 30% OFF sale for the 10W30 Edge at Repco, and I just picked some up. It's the first ILSAC oil I have ever purchased, I'm more an A3/B4 sort of guy. But given they way my car is now driven, more short trips than long hauls, I think this oil should suit my current driving patterns.

Hey SR have you tried the Ryco Syntec oil filter yet ??

Hi VO,

No I haven't tried the Ryco Syntec filters yet, they look great, but I haven't found them on sale yet.

I recently picked up a few Wesfil-Cooper filters that were reduced from $12 each to $4 each. There is a C&P on one here .

I'm thinking of teaming up the 10W30 oil with a Repco filter I have. I find the Repco filters a little restrictive, so I'm hoping this thinner oil will flow through it better.

Right now I'm using Castrol Magnatec 10W30 SN, A3/B4, semi-synthetic oil with a slightly less restrictive Cooper filter.
KV40 = 84 cSt, KV100 = 12.4

But the Castrol Edge 10W30 is
KV40 = 66.2 cSt, KV100 = 10.46 cSt.

So I'm hoping the 10W30 Edge will work OK with the Repco filter.

To be honest, I wish I could hit the reset button on my oil and filter stash, and start again. But it is what it is.

$24.79 for 5L at Supercheap this weekend.

I traded in two bottles of Edge 5W30 A3/B4 from the stash for 2 10W30s and a 25W60, PLUS got change.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
$24.79 for 5L at Supercheap this weekend.

I traded in two bottles of Edge 5W30 A3/B4 from the stash for 2 10W30s and a 25W60, PLUS got change.

I need more oil like a fat kid needs more cupcakes.

But that is an excellent price for a full synthetic in Australia. KL31 mentioned the sale too. But I must be strong.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SR5
Originally Posted by KL31
laugh.gif

This oil just made it to the top of my stash, and I put it in my car the other day.

The original spec for my 2006 Holden / Opel Astra was 10W30 or 15W40 in either A3/B3 or A3/B4, so higher HTHS stuff.
Just recently the back-spec'd my car to a 5W30 SN & GF-5 or Dexos1 oil, lower HTHS stuff.

This Edge 10W30 should do the job nicely.

I'm going to attempt to resurrect this thread!
How did everyone find it in their applications, and did anyone continue to use it?
I ask because it seems to still be going strong in stores and has plenty of 30-40% off sales, making it my go to A5 rated oil for my new GDi Accent. I have a few bottles in the garage and Ryco Syntec filters, which I will do myself every 10,000km with one dealership service per year (still with my Edge but OEM filter) for the check over and diagnostic scan etc. and so they are still familiar with my car and myself as a customer.

I'm as surprised as everyone else at the 5w30 being more stout on paper than the 10w30 variant, certainly interesting but I'm sure they have their reasons...
That said it's making me consider switching to the A3 5w30 once the warranty period is over, by which time it will probably have over 200,000km on it, but that's for another 4.5 years of contemplation haha

I will continue the 10w30 Edge for as long as it is available over the next 5 or so years for research purposes, but I would expect excellent results though of course.
I have a decent view of the cam lobe and bucket through my fill hole, so I will be using the condition of those to roughly determine the efficacy of the A5 Edge
grin.gif

Hey Mate, good to see you again. It's been awhile, did you have an AU Falcon previously ? Congratulations on the new ride.

Yes I have used Castrol Edge 10W30 (A5/B5) in my ‘06 Holden Astra, it went fine, a good oil that didn't burn and stayed clean looking (for what that is worth). I would use again, but I scored some GTX UltraClean 15W40 (A3/B3) at better than half price so I'll probably work my way through that and other blends I have for the Astra.

I've just purchased a new (to me) 2013 Nissan X-Trail 4x4, with the 2.5L 4-cylinder petrol (gas) engine (QR25DE). Which I believe is much the same car with the same engine as the Nissan Rogue in North America. This is the car I'll start running my full synthetic oils in, I have ample Castrol Edge 5W30 (A3/B4), Castrol Magnatec 5W30 (A3/B4) and Shell Helix Ultra 5W40.

I've also just purchased some Ryco SynTec oil filters for the very first time. For the X-Trail, as they had them at 20% off which brought them down to much the same price as the regular Ryco cellulose filters.

But back to the Edge 10W30, it's not SN-Plus so it's not designed to control LSPI in Turbo Direct Injected cars. So I wouldn't use it in a TDI car, but for most non-TDI petrol engine cars on the road in Australia it's probably close to the perfect oil IMO.

Back