Quick question on clockspring

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 Acura MDX.

Radio and other steering wheel controls all work but airbag light still on after replacement. Can clockspring still be bad?

Replacement of the clockspring?

IMO the clockspring is the week link in the airbag system due to the constant mechanical working of the assembly. I had to replace the clockspring in my wife's car at ~100 k miles. The airbag light remained on due to many set codes in the system. A special scan tool must be used to reset the codes. I went to a service/body shop that had done work on the car earlier and explained my situation. The owner graciously had his mechanic use their scan tool to reset the codes. He told me "no charge", so I asked him if it would be OK if I tipped the mechanic, he said "sure". I slipped the mechanic a $20 and everyone was happy. At the dealer it would have cost me $100.

Did the radio controls, etc., work before you replaced it?

It could be the clockspring but it could also be something else. The airbag computer can be scanned for faults.

Does the code clear with a scantool? Once the code is set, it will never go away on its own. You have to clear the code with a scanner or equivalent.

Yup. Needs the airbag codes need cleared. Since it will cost about $100 to get it cleared at a dealer, you might consider spending just a bit more to get a scan tool that can clear SES/SRS/ABS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back