Silverado 6.2L Fram TG 3 years and ~45,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided it was about time to swap the air filter. What you see is about a 3 year old Fram Tough Guard air filter with around 45,000 miles on it. Never really noticed a decrease in power, but it did seem a bit peppier this morning on my way to work. This seems to be a VERY solid filter. Good seal, solid construction, good seams and glue job and very strong wire backing. New filter I dropped in was the exact same thing. Same thickness, same seals, same number of pleats. Filter in pictures was made in USA, and the brand new one that replaced it was also made in USA. Good job, Fram.

I wish the TG filter would fit my 08 Liberty, I had to buy a Mopar at twice the price. Purolator wouldn't fit either.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I wish the TG filter would fit my 08 Liberty, I had to buy a Mopar at twice the price. Purolator wouldn't fit either.
What about a WIX/NAPA Gold? MC (made by Purolator) did not fit my 2010 FX4 very well either, but NAPA Gold did.

These are good air filters. They have a slight amount of oil in the media (but NOT an excessive amount like K&N uses). Purolator's P1 air filters are the same, but their media is blue.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
These are good air filters. They have a slight amount of oil in the media (but NOT an excessive amount like K&N uses). Purolator's P1 air filters are the same, but their media is blue.

K&N doesn't use an excessive amount... idiots that improperly clean and reoil K&N filters use an excessive amount of oil.

You won't notice the gradual power loss. The vehicle's computer will adjust the parameters caused by the restriction.

Originally Posted By: horse123

K&N doesn't use an excessive amount... idiots that improperly clean and reoil K&N filters use an excessive amount of oil.

+1

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
What about a WIX/NAPA Gold? MC (made by Purolator) did not fit my 2010 FX4 very well either, but NAPA Gold did.

I did quite a bit of shopping around for air filters for the V8 GM truck/suv families of engines as they all take the same filter.

What I found was that as far as fitment, as in the filter fitting the air box tightly; the OEM and Wix/Napa seemed the best. As far as pleats, The OEM Ac Delco and Wix heavy duty had the most (don't remember the numbers). Purolator Pure1 and Fram Tough Guard use lightly oiled paper media while the Wix/Napa is a paper and phenolic mix. The AC Delco and Fram tough guard probably had the strongest wire mesh backing with the Wix/Napa heavy duty coming in a close second place and Purolator being pretty flimsy.

After buying all the filters, examining them closely and test fitting them in my air box, I went with the Napa Gold heavy duty. It had the best combination of good fit, heavy duty construction and value.

Originally Posted By: horse123

That is the problem with K&N air filter, only an expert like you can do clean and re-oil correctly but some owners may either under or over oiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back