Mobil Delvac 1 5W/40 15,450 Toyota 2AZ-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why use such heavy oil? Spec oil would probably give you better results. Try M1 5-30EP or even M1 5-20EP, if you are going for a 15K OCI.

They are telling you to cut your OCI from over 15K to 7K ?
Interesting.
What oil filter are you using?

insolubles & fuel low, TBN @ 2.1 why would they rec a 55% OCI reduction?

There is some thickening happening, it thickened out of 40 weight, might want to find a lab that does oxidation/nitration, how did the oil look coming out? Really thick or lumpy? Be interested to see the inside of the filter, too, to see how it held up. IMHO, the amazing part is ZERO oil added in over 15K, that's pretty good!

I have been waiting for this UOA for a while now. Looks pretty good for the extended run. Did you end up using the same oil? My 5SFE runs great on M1 0W40.

yep, refiled the same oil/filter combo...no, no lumps in the UO..it did use I'd guess a pint or so of oil
(stick went from full to 3/4) so didn't need to add. engine ran great in fact the 240mi. run up
to the drain point I had the air on and avg. 70mph with most @ 80mph and 26.5 mpg.
that's running good on old oil.

How far below zero were the cold starts? You might want to consider a block heater. I don't like those iron levels.

The 150 ppm Iron Limit a lot of guys refer to around here is for a Two Stroke Detroit. Limit for CAT is 30 ppm. After that oil is considered abrasive. I realise this is a Toyota Gas Engine but I don't know what's normal for it. That's about 35% more iron than a 3.5 Ecoboost per 1000 miles and they are fuel diluting, iron chewing monsters.

Thick oil, high metals, elevated sodium (could be the road salt), ? for glycol test... Does your coolant contain potassium?

PS The condemnation level for glycol is 0.1%. It doesn't take much to be bad news.

Last edited:
I'd say aprox. 20 -0F to -10F cold starts..it's WI. and the U.P.

wonder if the dried road salt dust might be the silicon Blackstone is always worried about?

Wear metals seem REALLY high for a Toyota engine. How many miles does Toyota say to go between oil changes for your car?

I think it was run much too long. Those initially called for a 5,000 OCI and I think in later years there was a TSB to push it to 10k. I know the 2AZ-FE in my tC calls for 0W-20 and 5k intervals in the manual, which is what I stick to. I may end up pushing it to the later recommendation of 10k as it burns about a quart every 2,500 miles.

Looks terrible. Universal average of 14 sounds about right for 5 to 7000 on a 2az. Why insist on hdeo when it clearly isn't an improvement?

the conflict I don't understand is the TBN vs. wear metals, how can there be plenty of both?

If it was mine?

I would have run 5W30 Chevron/Havoline Conventional for 5,000 miles and seen what a UOA looked like.
Since you have the D1 in it already run it until October, 6000-800 miles and UOA.
If sodium and thickening look better, replace with Mobil 1 EP 0W20 and run it 10,000 miles and UOA.
If it turns out it just hates the D1 (especially in the winter) you can always stay with the 0W20, maybe going back to 5W30 in the summer if 0W20 bothers you.

PS If you are still running the 2-Stroke Oil in the Fuel you might consider discontinuing it for a while to eliminate that as a possible issue.

Last edited:
I would use a 10W30 pcmo at 3000 even though Toyota specs 5000. Me personally,I'd never use a diesel oil in a gasoline engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back