Be careful purchasing grease from Advance Auto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently bought some Valvoline Cerulean from Advance; ordered online (discount), and picked up at the local store. This product is carried at their "commercial desk", and not out on the open retail floor.

Here's what I received:
GjXJK5F.jpg

I knew this tube design didn't match their current graphics, so I subsequently inquired with Valvoline tech line for some information on production date. Unfortunately, the date code (27905) predates their current format, so they were unable to provide any further data. Furthermore, the copyright is from 1999, and the website listed (valvolinehd.com) is dead.

In other words...it's very old stock.

Does grease go bad? (not trying to be a smarta**) Just want to be educated on the subject.

I've got a couple in the gun grease tubes from the mid-1990's. Wouldn't think twice about using those as needed. Not much to grease on modern cars vs. the ones from the 1960's.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Does grease go bad? (not trying to be a smarta**) Just want to be educated on the subject.

I would say no, but it could separate the oil and soap.

If it bothers you, take it back and tell them it is very old stock and you would like a new tube ordered or a refund. They should take care of you.

I had some 5-10 year old grease in a tube that had separated. It would leak out of the sway bar link joints shortly after application. It was kept in a detached garage though, so the temps may have had something to do with it.

I "think" Cerulean is Valvoline's version of Poly-urea thickened grease and it is likely the recipe has been improved over time, especially in regard to shear resistance and/or compatibility with soap based soap complex products. Then again, it may be the same ole, same ole.

prs

I've seen those graphics on all the valvoline grease I've looked at for years. Including at the parts store yesterday.

Not saying it isn't NOS, just not sure since its commonplace to see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back