2016 F150 3.5 EB ~7k miles Edge 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
2016F150-I-510920-Sev2-001.jpg

The oil has titanium, I updated Polaris so I am sure they will update the report.

Last edited:
How many mile on the ODO? Is this a worse than semi-syn Magnetec in an EB motor?

At this point I would guess the engine is still wearing in.

I have been using 10w-30 diesel oil in my 13 Eco-Boost since new and and it has been flawless. I don't believe in all the marketing hype in the syn oils. Too much drain off on the very thin oils for this motor with the cam phazers.

The truck is too new to get meaningful wear numbers. The oil held up great though.

Originally Posted By: ryanm8
The truck is too new to get meaningful wear numbers. The oil held up great though.

My thought exactly, I'd be curious to know if the silicon was from gaskets or is the OP running a aftermarket air intake system. Other parameters look great for almost 7k on the oil.

No aftermarket air filter truck is stock. I work this truck pretty hard in the heat down here, this run had about 2800 miles towing 6k trailer.

I have no plans to change oil brands at this time, I will use up my Castrol (about 3 more oci) and then switch to my Kendall stash most likely if any is left.

I will probably try 10k interval this time. One thing that surprised me is no fuel dilution, all my other EB dilute. My 2011 EB routinely had 3% IIRC

Oil went in with less than 2300 miles on the truck and came out with less than 9300 miles on the truck.

Average Iron on a 3.5 EB is 3.6 ppm per 1000 miles.
You matched average iron on a truck that's still breaking in.

Well below average shearing.

Well below average fuel dilution.

Well above average TBN retention.

In my opinion for a break-in run this is truly outstanding.

Just to clarify this is Castrol Syntec Black Bottle 0W30? The old German now Belgium Castrol now has Titanium?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gene K

Snip ...
Just to clarify this is Castrol Syntec Black Bottle 0W30? The old German now Belgium Castrol now has Titanium?

Yes this is Castrol Syntec Black Bottle 0W30. BC, what used to be GC.

Oil went in with less than 2300 miles on the truck and came out with less than 9300 miles on the truck.

Why in the world would we be satisfied being "average"?

Lets be great at 1ppm iron per 1k !!!

Originally Posted By: KJSmith

Why in the world would we be satisfied being "average"?

Lets be great at 1ppm iron per 1k !!!

Not going to happen at 9300 miles. You have the best numbers in a 3.5 Ecoboost Ive seen and it was 44 ppm at the same point although its not comparable because you didnt have an early oil change.

Not going to happen at 9300 miles. You have the best numbers in a 3.5 Ecoboost Ive seen and it was 44 ppm at the same point although its not comparable because you didnt have an early oil change.

Correct, my first oil change was @ 9500 miles and 44ppm on the factory fill Motorcraft.
Almost every factory fill EB I have seen test out closer to 5/20 than 5/30.
My first Syn-Blend sample was @ 29000 miles and 13 ppm.
First Magnetec was @ 88000 miles and 8 ppm.

I think miles per cold start makes a huge difference.
10 cold starts a week times 45 miles each start will make a huge difference.
Its that old adage about highway miles not hurting one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back