Electronic throttle-by-wire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I preferred the throttle cable and TPS setup of my previous ('13) Duc over the full electronic throttle-by-wire of the '16. The '16 pulls as hard or harder than the '13 but it doesn't have the "snap" to the throttle response that allowed the '13 to lift the front wheel at will.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Same for Honda S2000. Some had an S2000 with cable and bought another newer model with throttle-by-wire, he hated it.

I agree that tbw is worse than cable, performance wise, but it requires less maintenance. There's no IACV, or TPS sensor which needs to be replaced every couple of years (especially it's a common problem for the K series), and it is PITA to adjust that [censored].

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Same for Honda S2000. Some had an S2000 with cable and bought another newer model with throttle-by-wire, he hated it.

Same for my Barchetta. Cable always feel more snappy than throttle by wire, the feeling of having the throttle wide open in an instant and the noise it produced is not comparable with some throttle by wire butterfly, even if performances are identical, it just doesn't feel the same. Plus the higher you rev the engine, the lighter the pedal...definitely doesn't feel the same.

On the plus side, you can argue that throttle by wire is a bit more delicate and less "bumpy", but I guess that also depends on the electronics, and isn't an issue on a motorcycle.

By smoothing out the throttle inputs it can be more predicable when passing emissions drive cycles. If you are wanting more of a traditional cable feel I've heard a few people have had success with a "Sprint Booster" which helps to filter the throttle signal to give a more cable like response.

It's all about the programming. DBW gives mfgrs the ability to smooth power curves, control abs, etc.

In some cases a simple reflash can change the personality of the bike dramatically. Maybe someone will develop an aftermarket tuner like we have for cars...

Yeah I completely agree, doesn't have the same feedback and feel that I would like, but it does help to smooth out the engine breaking of a big twin. I will stick to the ducatis made before 2010.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
It's all about the programming. DBW gives mfgrs the ability to smooth power curves, control abs, etc.

In some cases a simple reflash can change the personality of the bike dramatically. Maybe someone will develop an aftermarket tuner like we have for cars...

Tuneboy is the solution and an outstanding product and DUCATI is well supported.

Both of my streetbikes have reflashed ECU's. On the RBW bike, the throttle response feels just as good as the bike with throttle cables. Plus with the addition of a full exhaust system and some other tweaks, it picked up a little over 20 peak rwhp on pump gas, with a much stronger power curve through the rev-range. I imagine there are those in this Country which can reflash your Duck ECU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back