5w40 silverado 1500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is 5w40 to thick for 1500 gasser with 5.3 LS motor? It calls for 5w30 but I use 5w40 rotella in my jeep and my bike.

If it's a '11 and newer it calls for a Dexos specced oil. If you don't mind not having warranty I guess it's fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sealbilly
Is 5w40 to thick for 1500 gasser with 5.3 LS motor? It calls for 5w30 but I use 5w40 rotella in my jeep and my bike.

Probably not, but as mentioned above, what year is it and what oil is recommended?

I'm considering the same thing with my F150, specified for 5w20. I'll be doing a UOA with that, 5w30 and 5w40 to see what things look like.

I tried 15w40 Duron E in a 2013 5.3L, ran the OLM down to 5% and did a UOA.
Since then, all the truck gets now is XW40.
The 2014 and newer 5.3s are 0w20 engines and hold close to 8 quarts of oil.
I would be tempted to try and test a 10w30 with that engine before moving up to a XW40.
Don't expect to see a change in oil pressure with different grades.
The 1500's 4.3L V6 is still a 5w30 engine.

The end of the world is here.... www.unibroue.com The picture is upper Quebec peninsula.

Nobody in their right mind would live there if they had a choice.

Oil related issue? Here is the program; 15w40 in the summer, 5w40 is the default grade going into fall, 0w40 for winter.
The olm runs out around 14K km or 8,500 miles.
At that time, the 0w40 will be close to the add mark, 5w40 and 15w40 about 1/2 way between full and add.
Risky behavior and bad advice is using or suggesting thinner engine oils than recommended in the owner's manual.
I'm not suggesting to anyone use XYZ engine oil in their car or truck.
Stupid is what stupid does. Userfriendly is gonna do what Userfriendly does.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
I tried 15w40 Duron E in a 2013 5.3L, ran the OLM down to 5% and did a UOA.
Since then, all the truck gets now is XW40.
The 2014 and newer 5.3s are 0w20 engines and hold close to 8 quarts of oil.
I would be tempted to try and test a 10w30 with that engine before moving up to a XW40.
Don't expect to see a change in oil pressure with different grades.
The 1500's 4.3L V6 is still a 5w30 engine.

10w-30 is the same as 5w-30 at operating temperature. Only difference between the two is cold viscosity.

Truck is an 09 with 29k plus some change. I have heard the afm system thing before but my truck uses very little oil. Maybe 1/4 to 1/2 quart in 7500 miles. I plan on having the afm system turned off before consumption starts.

Originally Posted By: Farmer
If it's a '11 and newer it calls for a Dexos specced oil. If you don't mind not having warranty I guess it's fine.

Valvoline 5W40 is dexos2 spec.

Please just use what the manufacture specs. I don't undertrained the huberious of thinking you know more than say the engineers that designed, developed and tested the product. I've been to Michigan to (2) different major manufacturers testing, engineering and proving centers and I can vouch major manufacturers Test an unbelievable amount in condition you probably will never or could never experience in the real world. Just follow the directions for best results.

Well, the hubris you mention is not tainted by EPA and CAFE nonsense like GM is. Beside the bailout, why do you think many people call it Government Motors. If they test their engines so much and put so much engineering into them, then why do many of them blow excessive amounts of oil thru the PCV line and layer up the intake and create a mess? If they put so much into engineering and testing their AFM goofiness, then why is there a recognizable percentage of them that end up with collapsed lifters and caked up piston rings on the cylinders that are involved in the shut down part of AFM. Which also is a product of EPA and CAFE. And if they put so much engineering into determining what oil to use, then why does GF-5 beat dexos1 by a considerable margin regarding ethanol emulsification, yet GM, again marching to the government pied piper, pumps out flex fuel vehicles right and left and promotes ethanol usage. And GM is going to toe the line with Uncle. After all, that bailout came with a LOT of strings attached. GM is not as righteous as many play them up to be. And yes, I own two GM vehicles, but I refuse to worship at the GM alter.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
And if they put so much engineering into determining what oil to use, then why does GF-5 beat dexos1 by a considerable margin regarding ethanol emulsification, yet GM, again marching to the government pied piper, pumps out flex fuel vehicles right and left and promotes ethanol usage.

Interesting assessment there, Copperhead; if you're going to spread this around the 'net, at least get it right.

Please explain for those listening to you, who take what you say at face-value and don't do any additional research, why dexos1 does not independently include ASTM D7563.

Really don't care one way or the other, and not going to look into it further. I have never used a dexos1 "approved" oil in any GM vehicle I have owned, and worried about it as much as I worry about a 2 mile wide rock hitting this planet. Never had one problem. I am basing my assertion on the spider diagrams that are all over this forum showing the difference between GF-5 and dexos1.

But my contention is more right than wrong. GM has a number of little games going on that they are not as stellar, either in their product or recommendations, as many suppose. None of the OEM's are. I have dealt directly with OEM assembly plants for several decades, and it can be an eye opener. That and owning Ford, Mopar, and GM vehicles over the years, I am keenly aware that quality is not always at the forefront of what they do. And dexos1, while interesting, is just a recommendation. I have never had a warranty issue denied on anything I have owned, from personal to commercial, and I have never "toed the line" with what OEM's recommend. Truth be told, unless you were to make an issue about using something other than what they recommend, they wouldn't take the time to actually check. I have never had a dealership ever test an oil to see what I am using. Whether it be a car, pickup, ag tractor, or commercial semi truck. There are much more things to worry about in life than what a OEM might think about an oil I am using.

“I am basing my assertion on the spider diagrams that are all over this forum showing the difference between GF-5 and dexos1.”

Folks, this is why it’s important to retain critical thinking skills.

Here’s a guy who looked at some diagrams without context or knowledge to interpret, and then used that 'information' on a diatribe across multiple forums and countless posts bashing GM.

No effort was taken to research.
Even when questioned, he’s “not going to look into it further.”

I realize you “really don't care.” That’s the problem. No personal responsibility for what you’re saying when there are no repercussions, right? It’s just an internet forum, after all -- a place you can come tell your point of view when everyone in the real world has grown tired of listening.

For those following, here’s a fun challenge if you want to burn a little time: http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand1/

That’s the list of licensed dexos1 oils. Feel free to start at the top, bottom, in the middle, with your favorite brand, one you’ve never heard of, or the viscosity of your choice. From there, the challenge is this: Find a dexos1 oil that’s not also ILSAC GF-5.

If he had taken any time to study before hitting the keyboard, he’d know that dexos1 is a supplementary set of tests that GM has deemed important which are used in conjunction with API/ILSAC; it’s not employed in standalone. Once you've determined that all dexos1 is also GF-5 (and thus has been tested to D7563), you realize how the statements of TiredTrucker are not only completely misleading, but lack any veracity whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back