0W20 question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just bought a 5 quart container of Mobil 1 5 W20 for my 2012 Camry. Guy standing next to me stated he was a local mechanic and said I should just use 5 W20 which was about half the price and that it would be fine. Anyone hear anything similar?

My 2012 is still under the powertrain warranty and calls for the 0 W20 just as my wife's 2015 Venza. I guess I was concerned about voiding the warranty if there was an oil issue. Cold temps are not a problem as I live in FL. 97 today!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
For warranty purposes, you should stick to recommended grade.

This. Plus less things to worry about.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Random local mechanics are always the best place to get oil information.

I get all my medical advice from strangers in-line at the supermarket.

How can 5W-20 be half the price of 0W-20? Answer--one is a conventional and the other a synthetic; care to guess which is which?. Otherwise, all of the major players have them priced the same for the same type--conventional or synthetic.

I would cringe at the thought of a 0w20 oil I'm engine in 97 degree weather sitting in I-4 Ultimate traffic with no air flow. Like they are going to check the oil viscosity on a warranty. Gimme a break. Then people post, my car is using a qt of oil every 3000 miles, well try a oil a heavier than 3 &1 household oil.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
How can 5W-20 be half the price of 0W-20? Answer--one is a conventional and the other a synthetic; care to guess which is which?. Otherwise, all of the major players have them priced the same for the same type--conventional or synthetic.

You often see 0w20 bring a $8 premium on a five quart jug over a 5w20. Same brand,
same oil like Magnatec etc. In that case I'd use the 5w20.
No big deal. Just a bunch of drama.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I would cringe at the thought of a 0w20 oil I'm engine in 97 degree weather sitting in I-4 Ultimate traffic with no air flow. Like they are going to check the oil viscosity on a warranty. Gimme a break. Then people post, my car is using a qt of oil every 3000 miles, well try a oil a heavier than 3 &1 household oil.

+1000.........

They may not do a viscosity check, but they may ask to see receipts for the non-dealer oil changes. And these receipts would typically include the oil's brand and viscosity. Maybe they'd make an issue out of it, maybe not. But I'd rather not take on a company with Toyota's resources on my own.

Originally Posted By: loub
I would listen to him if I thought he knew more about Toyota's than Toyota engineers.

I guess manufactures never have their own agenda.
Like Toyota farming out their seats to the Chinese until it did them in and
the sludge motors and so on.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
You often see 0w20 bring a $8 premium on a five quart jug over a 5w20. Same brand, same oil like Magnatec etc. In that case I'd use the 5w20. No big deal. Just a bunch of drama.
I have never seen an $8 (or any difference) between 0W-20 or 5W-20 for the same type and brand of oil. M1, PP, Edge, QSUD, they are all the same price for either viscosity. I am still betting the OP (or the random mechanic) was recommending a conventional or synblend 5W-20 overr a synthetic 0W-20.

Originally Posted By: Danh

They may not do a viscosity check, but they may ask to see receipts for the non-dealer oil changes. And these receipts would typically include the oil's brand and viscosity. Maybe they'd make an issue out of it, maybe not. But I'd rather not take on a company with Toyota's resources on my own.

We had a new Taurus blow the engine in less than 12k miles and they sent out a tow truck
and picked it up. They called us up and said they were aware of the issue and give them four days to fix it. That was it. Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back