Air valve question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Six months ago I purchased 4 new tires from Pep Boys for my 86 T Type and they were mounted on GNX style Riken America rims. Today I noticed that my vehicle which has new Bilstein shocks was riding quite hard. When I went to check the tire pressure for the first time as I do not use the vehicle much I noticed that I cannot get an air pressure reading from the valves on any tire. I checked the air pressure gauge on another cars tire and it worked fine and even used a different style gauge with the same results. What gives? The valves are the original hard chromed ones to match the rims not rubber.
Are Bilstein shocks temperature sensitive? I am not liking the ride.

Last edited:
You might want to get a valve core removal tool to tweak them conterclockwise then home again. Sounds like they got stuck with a little corrosion.

Going to do that that later but thought is was odd that 4 tires have the same issue at the same time.

Can you post pics of one of the valve stems?

Sounds like you might have a hard chrome cover on top of the rubber valve stem that might be interfering with your pressure gauge.

HTH

Maybe you have incompatible metals between the valve core and stem. The funky chrome stems are a clue.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Maybe you have incompatible metals between the valve core and stem. The funky chrome stems are a clue.

Stems are the ones that came with the rims. No issue prior to new tires.

because maybe they put the wrong valve cores in when they did the tires!

Jeez, it's an answer, and even a plausible explanation! Get off the computer and give 'em a tweak!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
because maybe they put the wrong valve cores in when they did the tires!

Jeez, it's an answer, and even a plausible explanation! Get off the computer and give 'em a tweak!

Its the 4th, they are closed and that was my original thought. I will call them tomorrow.
At 29319 post I think you might be on the computer a little more than me!
Have a nice day anyway!

Last edited:
Do let us know! It's a mystery how the same phenomena clobbered all four!

Originally Posted By: 007

Have a nice day anyway!

By all means get back to us when you figure out how to use your tire pressure gauge ...
crazy.gif

Ironically the issue was that the small O rings from the valve caps became logged inside each and every valve stem! First time for everything!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back