Nail near the edge of tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I literally just spent 500 bucks on two new tires a week ago and I have a nail in one of the tires. It's in the tire at about a 45 degree angle. I believe the rule of thumb so to speak. lol is a thumb width away from the sidewall. My question is that looking at it from the inside of the tire? Because once you get through the 1" thick rubber tread it's probably 3/4" away from the sidewall looking at it from the inside if I had to guess. The nail is about 1/4" away from the edge of the tire looking from the outside and it's right on the tread. Is this fixable, or are they going to tell me I need a new tire when this one has like 500 miles on it. No I didn't buy the road hazard.

I don't understand why new tires always pick up tons of screws and nails, because this always happens. My guess is because they have so much tread. My last set had like 2 screws in each tire. Although I've never had one this close to the edge. What are my options? Do you think they will give me some leeway since I just bought these a week ago?

Last edited by a moderator:
Heck,if they tell you that,I'd go to O'Reilly and buy one of those plug kits and fix it yourself. I've done that many times and never had a prob with the repair job.

Without a pic, no way to tell if its repairable. Unless you bought some type of road hazard, why would they give you leeway? Perhaps a free repair if its repairable, but a free tire?

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Without a pic, no way to tell if its repairable. Unless you bought some type of road hazard, why would they give you leeway? Perhaps a free repair if its repairable, but a free tire?

Why not just let me buy the road hazard after the fact? lol

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Heck,if they tell you that,I'd go to O'Reilly and buy one of those plug kits and fix it yourself. I've done that many times and never had a prob with the repair job.

I have a kit sitting in the back seat of my truck I use in case I need it for a lawn mower tire, but I've never used them before. Not sure how hard they are to install. My only other thinking is that I there is this small independent shop that installs those plugs. I had a boat trailer tire plugged and it held fine for years until the tire rotted.

Picture coming up. Hang on............

You might have a option to purchase a road hazard warranty before 30 days after purchase in most cases

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
The nail is about 1/4" away from the edge of the tire looking from the outside and it's right on the tread. Is this fixable, or are they going to tell me I need a new tire when this one has like 500 miles on it. No I didn't buy the road hazard.

A quick answer is NO.

If it's real close to the side, my buddy that works at a small tire shop say patch not recommended. Replace it. But try road hazard first.

Originally Posted By: heyu
You might have a option to purchase a road hazard warranty before 30 days after purchase in most cases

Hopefully. You would think they would let you purchase it afterwards for the three tires that don't have anything wrong with them.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
If it's real close to the side, my buddy that works at a small tire shop say patch not recommended. Replace it. But try road hazard first.

You mean see if they will let me get it now? I pretty much bring all my tire repairs/purchases to them, so hopefully they will just let me purchase the road hazard. Who knows. If I have to spend another $200 and some dollars, such is life.... Maybe it's foolish not buying it when these tires are so expensive.

Whats the brand and model of tire?

The reason I ask is because some manufacturers provide a road hazard warranty on some of their tires.

For example Continental offers a 1 year/first 2/32" road hazard on many of their tires. Same with Kumho on their Ecsta 4X II. and Platinum Touring. Maybe other models and brands do as well...?

Go to Tire Rack, then pick a tire, then click on the warranty icon for a given tire and it will indicate whether or not there is a road hazard warranty from the manufacturer.

Slim chance, but worth looking into.

Originally Posted By: 3for3
Whats the brand and model of tire?

The reason I ask is because some manufacturers provide a road hazard warranty on some of their tires.

For example Continental offers a 1 year/first 2/32" road hazard on many of their tires. Same with Kumho on their Ecsta 4X II. and Platinum Touring. Maybe other models and brands do as well...?

Go to Tire Rack, then pick a tire, then click on the warranty icon for a given tire and it will indicate whether or not there is a road hazard warranty from the manufacturer.

Slim chance, but worth looking into.

Good idea.

Try Tirerack.com, enter your tire brand and model to see if it has road hazard warranty.

Why not just let me buy the road hazard after the fact? lol

My tire dealer has let me do that several times.

Yokohama. I read discount tires website that says I have 30 days to decide whether or not to get road hazard, although I'm not sure if that means I can add it on and then have them give me a new tire.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I don't see why not. Thats why they give you the 30 days I think.

That would kind of be poor business practice if they didn't wouldn't it? Kind of like saying oh we offer this service, but we make you go through hoops for it to actually cover anything.

They can't patch it if it's too close to the sidewall. Your road hazard insurance that you bought with the tire should take care of the replacement.

Yokohama. I read discount tires website that says I have 30 days to decide whether or not to get road hazard, although I'm not sure if that means I can add it on and then have them give me a new tire.

So if you're saying you bought the tire at 'DT,' then yes, excellent chance that they will let you buy the certificates for full replacement of the tires. Generally you will need to buy for both, it would be for four if full set was purchased.

However as many members have reported, DT has a road hazard replacement policy with tire install on every tire they sell with installation. Under that you may be able to get a prorated price on a new replacement tire. That may be the less expensive than purchasing the certs. Either way though, it will be significantly less expensive than a new tire. Seeing as you seem to have many issues with punctures, certs may be the better way to go.

IME, DT is very fair to work with on service after the sale including tread life warranty and road hazard issues/matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back