Interior protectant recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased a Traverse with the Ebony/Saddle interior. I want a good non glossy cleaner/protectant to use on the dash, etc.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Actually, I regard both of my suggestions as protectants, though Vinylx claims it also cleans and protects.

And I would suggest Lexol Cleaner and their Conditioner for leather.

I'm sure others will share their favorite products in this thread.

I mainly use 1z cockpit premium or Meg's QID as I'm looking for a factory new finish and ain't fallin for anyone's UV claims anyway.

Use a good leather conditioner. I use that on all my interior surfaces. Armor All Leather Protectant (the one in the white spray bottle) has been my fave for years.

I have used a ton of different brands from cheap Walmart stuff to zaino. I recently ran out of armor all so picked up turtle wax super protestant cuz it was in sale for $4. The stuff works good like the others I have used. With that, pick something that doesn't cost an arm n leg and call it a day. If you don't like it, u can always switch to a diff brand.

Get a quality dash pad that will last the life of the car. I don't like putting any so-called "protectants" on my dash or other interior parts as many of them dry things out more and ultimately cause damage. I've never had a dash crack or fade when I was using a dash pad/cardboard dash shield. Any time you're parking in the sun, they need to go on. Better yet, park in the shade.

Most modern leathers are "coated" so a "conditioner" won't do much. I think using a water based UV protectant is the best think you can do for them. I clean all surfaces with meguiars D101 diluted 10-1 and then give them a quick wipe down with HD protect. It leaves the surface dry and has a matte appearance. Its not shiny at all.

Interior leather,although coated (which all leathers are or they'd be destroyed simply by being exposed to air) are still porous and "breathe". A high quality leather conditioner will penetrate the leather on a microscopic level. The leather will "drink" up the conditioner,and what's left you simply wipe off with a towel. If you'll notice,you sweat on vinyl but on leather you don't (or not nearly as much). I've also read many times that vinyl protectants can damage the stitching on leather seats,etc.

Originally Posted By: wn1998
Most modern leathers are "coated" so a "conditioner" won't do much. I think using a water based UV protectant is the best think you can do for them. I clean all surfaces with meguiars D101 diluted 10-1 and then give them a quick wipe down with HD protect. It leaves the surface dry and has a matte appearance. Its not shiny at all.

Correct, if water beads up off coated leather, a conditioner will do the same. Keep it clean and use a protectant, leave the conditioners for uncoated leather or your sofa ; )

Surf City Dash Away will do everything you want. It also cleans and protects with a matte finish. I used 303 for a decade + then used Dash Away once and never went back. It's that good.

I like to clean the interior surfaces with diluted cleaner or degreaser. I'm using Chemical Guys non-sense stuff right now. Then apply a low-gloss protectant like their Silk Shine. Let it penetrate a while, then come back and remove any excess with a microfiber. I'm almost out of silk shine, so I will be using their VRP next.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Surf City Dash Away will do everything you want. It also cleans and protects with a matte finish. I used 303 for a decade + then used Dash Away once and never went back. It's that good.

+1, works on upholstery, headliner and carpet as well. I need to get some more of it. I wish I would have asked for Dash Away instead of the free wax they were giving out. Since I haven't used the wax since I've had it for two years.

Nothing - interior plastics do not need to be dressed or protected. The UV inhibitor in the panels is already sufficient for UV protection purposes.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Nothing - interior plastics do not need to be dressed or protected. The UV inhibitor in the panels is already sufficient for UV protection purposes.

I've heard that before. What do you suggest for coated leather seats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back