Oil for FTO MIVEC used on track

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

What should I be looking at for a Mitsubishi FTO MIVEC used on track?
Engine is a higher revver (8,000+ rpm) but is mostly standard other than bolt ons.

I am likely going to use Shell Helix Ultra I believe, but wondering what viscosity?
I think OE specs are 5W30 due to the high rpm, but wondering if a thicker or thinner oil would be best used?

Engine has been rebuilt so tolerances are tight.

Are there better oils to the Shell Helix Ultra for my application?

Any pics of your FTO
grin.gif

I've not had the car on the track yet, nor do I have an oil temp gauge, or cooler.

It is winter here currently, and having never driven on track before I know I will not be punishing the car.

And being close to stock, I expect temps to get hot but not overly hot. Further down the track I will add temp gauge and cooler if it is necessary.

Manual calls for 5W30 oil, but Shell Helix Ultra state their 10W60 is for racing applications.
Can someone recommend what I should do?

Bud_One, the car is actually what you guys in the US call a Mirage coupe, it has had a motor transplant from an FTO

Been built tight ?

Then I'd go Edge 5W30 A3/B4, still a 5W30, but with an HTHS not far off a 5W40...has SL levels of zinc and Phos.

Mitsubishi's own brand oil for those is Edge 5W-30, so they'll be pretty happy for you to use it.

Castrol Edge you mean?

Would Castrol Edge 5W30 be a better oil than the Shell Helix Ultra 5W30, or the Mobil1 5W30?

Originally Posted By: Spetz
Castrol Edge you mean?

Would Castrol Edge 5W30 be a better oil than the Shell Helix Ultra 5W30, or the Mobil1 5W30?

Yep, Castrol Edge 5W30.

Either the Castrol or the Shell...

Both are A3/B4, which means that their HTHS is over 3.5. Both are rated SL, rather than SM to keep the additive levels up.

The M1 5W30 is a more traditional ILSAC (lower HTHS), with SM levels of additives.

Thanks Shannow.
Between the choice of Castrol Edge and Shell Helix Ultra (both 5W30) which would be best for a high stress application like circuit racing?

be careful! All the castrol edge 5w-30 offerings here are C3 oils, not A3/B4. You wouldn't want a C3.

The only Castrol 5w30I find with A3/B4 rating is Magnatec A3/B4, but that doesn't have an MB229.5 rating, only 229.3.

Carefully check before buying, if you see ACEA C3 anywhere don't get it.

Edge 5w30 (if A3/B4 spec!) would be fine, just as Ultra 5w30, but it seems (according to other OZ members) that Helix Ultra 5w40 is sensibly priced down under just as it is in Europe. You can't go wrong with 40 grade oil in Australia, especially if tracking the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back