Did some 100k Corolla maintenance this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my wife's 2002 Corolla just hit 100k miles after 14 years of reliable short-tripping. After an oil & filter (M1 HM, Puro Synthetic) change and a new air filter last week, I decided I really needed to address the leaking valve cover gasket and change the original plugs. That's the part that always scared me, not being sure if the original plugs would come out without a fight. It didn't start off too well as the cover gaskets were stuck to the head. The main outer gasket was peeled off in one shot but the plug tube gasket o-rings turned hard and brittle and they eventually came off in pieces. I had to be VERY careful I din't drop any into the engine but luckily I got all the old stuff off and cleaned the mating surfaces. I didn't take any pics since it looked exactly like I expected: varnish from years of short tripping but otherwise fine with no sludge to be seen. The chain was tight and the cam lobes looked perfect.

The plugs were next. I said a quick prayer to the FSM and gave the first one a tug. Miracle of miracles, the plug popped loose easily and came right out. The other three followed suit. Maybe NGK and Denso are right about plated plugs not needing anti-seize after all, but I still put a little bit on the Denso Iridium Long Life replacements. One strange thing about the plugs, the manual calls for them to be gapped to .044" but they all came out of the box at .039". Knowing you're not really supposed to re-gap Iridium plugs, I did it anyway and got them all perfect. The strange part is that the original plugs that came out were all over the place: .036", .037", .040" and .041". I'm not sure what to think about that because I assumed the gaps would have opened up over time if anything. The car runs fine, nice and strong, so I'm not going to worry about it especially since they are gapped correctly per the manual and the hood sticker.

Next was a drain and fill for the transmission, using about three quarts of MaxLife Dex/Merc. I've done this a few times before, maybe once every 10k miles, and it really makes a difference. The transmission shifts perfectly, nice and firm.

Things I skipped (for now): The timing chain tensioner is a known source for leaks so I bought a new one, but it's in a not easily accessible place and I didn't want it to ruin my afternoon so I dropped it. Same goes for the O2 sensors as the pre-cat sensor is in a bad place, and the post-cat sensor did not want to come out. And I'll get the brakes re-bled at some point. And the coolant changed, and the hoses, and the thermostat...

Sounds like you did great, getting these old cars back up to spec is always a great accomplishment. I'm sure you'll get many more miles out of it. I sure hope I get many more out of my 2000 Toyota.

RAmen.

Very nice, I wish I could do all that to the Matrix. At least the exterior looks very good. All shined up and waxed.

I wouldn't be too worried about getting factory plugs out, but maybe your ratchet was touched by His Noodly Appendage
grin.gif

We changed out the factory plugs on our 1.8 Matrix, at about 75k.

No problem at all.

Simple job. Have not heard of these motors using oil, only the 2.4L models.

Ours does not use a drop, and I switched to 5w20 a couple years ago. Valvoline Synthetic.

The radiator hoses were quite soft so I switched them out with goodyear hoses a couple weeks back. Vavoline/Zyrex Asian coolant.

Kudos for making the effort to keep it maintained. Most people seem to think "I always changed the oil regularly" deserves a pat on the back good for good maintenance - okay, that's a start, but nowhere near the whole list to see the kind of efficiency and longevity most cars are capable of.

Last edited:
I did nothing to my daughter's '06 Corolla but oil and filters. She took it to the dlr for a 150k maintenance. That was when the factory plugs were changed out. That car and my brother's '10 Tacoma base model, convinced me to buy the '09 Camry. Some repairs at 100k. Tires. No complaints. I have yet to turn a wrench on it. A trans drain and fill, might not be a bad idea.
grin2.gif

02 Chevy Prizm (beater) Best Chevy GM never made
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Thanks, all. It's nice to not think about having to do it anymore.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
I wouldn't be too worried about getting factory plugs out, but maybe your ratchet was touched by His Noodly Appendage
grin.gif

Maybe, lol. I certainly appreciate His help.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
You did good. I really need to do the valve cover replace on my beater. I think you have motivated me.

Do it! It's the same car/engine. I can't say it was hard, just a little involved. Needing to be clean and careful made it take longer than I thought it would but it was well worth doing. I was really surprised at how brittle the valve cover gasket and plug tube o-rings were. Just make sure you buy a small tube of gasket maker to apply to the head/timing cover parting line (I used Permatex Ultra Black). And since you need to remove the coil packs anyway, and removing the valve cover makes accessing the plugs easier, now's a good time for new ones if you never have.

I would change the thermostat and radiator cap.
Just did mine after 10 years and 58k miles.
Second coolant drain & fill too.
Also changed plugs.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Are the O2 sensors part of the schedule?

No, it's more of a feel-good, 'it'll need them sooner or later', '100k is a nice round number' kind of job. It did throw a code during a long road trip a while back but it hasn't returned.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
So my wife's 2002 Corolla just hit 100k miles after 14 years of reliable short-tripping. After an oil & filter (M1 HM, Puro Synthetic) change and a new air filter last week, I decided I really needed to address the leaking valve cover gasket and change the original plugs. That's the part that always scared me, not being sure if the original plugs would come out without a fight. It didn't start off too well as the cover gaskets were stuck to the head. The main outer gasket was peeled off in one shot but the plug tube gasket o-rings turned hard and brittle and they eventually came off in pieces. I had to be VERY careful I din't drop any into the engine but luckily I got all the old stuff off and cleaned the mating surfaces. I didn't take any pics since it looked exactly like I expected: varnish from years of short tripping but otherwise fine with no sludge to be seen. The chain was tight and the cam lobes looked perfect.

The plugs were next. I said a quick prayer to the FSM and gave the first one a tug. Miracle of miracles, the plug popped loose easily and came right out. The other three followed suit. Maybe NGK and Denso are right about plated plugs not needing anti-seize after all, but I still put a little bit on the Denso Iridium Long Life replacements. One strange thing about the plugs, the manual calls for them to be gapped to .044" but they all came out of the box at .039". Knowing you're not really supposed to re-gap Iridium plugs, I did it anyway and got them all perfect. The strange part is that the original plugs that came out were all over the place: .036", .037", .040" and .041". I'm not sure what to think about that because I assumed the gaps would have opened up over time if anything. The car runs fine, nice and strong, so I'm not going to worry about it especially since they are gapped correctly per the manual and the hood sticker.

Next was a drain and fill for the transmission, using about three quarts of MaxLife Dex/Merc. I've done this a few times before, maybe once every 10k miles, and it really makes a difference. The transmission shifts perfectly, nice and firm.

Things I skipped (for now): The timing chain tensioner is a known source for leaks so I bought a new one, but it's in a not easily accessible place and I didn't want it to ruin my afternoon so I dropped it. Same goes for the O2 sensors as the pre-cat sensor is in a bad place, and the post-cat sensor did not want to come out. And I'll get the brakes re-bled at some point. And the coolant changed, and the hoses, and the thermostat...
Be sure some diaelectric grease, so called on the actual metal connector in the plug wire, I've seen these stick to the plug when the wire is pulled and break off. Sometimes you find that out when the plug wrench doesn't fit because the metal piece isstuck on the plug and in the way. Don't ask how I know, but a good set of medical forceps is a a big help, even better than long nose pliers. BTW I dropped some bits of PCV gasket into my valve
cover while trying to remove it. The Gen 4 Camry has gone about 100 K since with no trouble from the bits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back