Quality gas in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Driving through parts of Canada this week. Which gas stations are generally OK and which ones should be avoided? I filled up with Petro Canada 94 yesterday, although 91 would have likely sufficed.

I thought Irving had the best/lowest sulfur refining in the hemisphere. I usually go for Irving if I can find it.

In Ontario all our gas is okay. Just stick to a station that is high volume. Where are you in Canada? Petro Canada is really Sunoco.

I wouldn't hesitate to get gas anywhere fairly busy. The only time I ever hear of someone having gas problems, is with snowmobiles having to fill up at small remote stations that may only have 87, or 87 labelled as 91 octane.

Originally Posted By: Planb
In Ontario all our gas is okay. Just stick to a station that is high volume. Where are you in Canada? Petro Canada is really Sunoco.

PetroCanada is owned by SUNCOR not Sunoco. They aren't the same thing.

All the major brands : Esso, PetroCanada, Husky, Shell, Co-op etc are TopTier.

Next time you fill up with 94, have a good look at what is written on the button you are pressing.

I will have to look, I sometimes use that gas in my SI. (yes it requires premium)

I noticed at a Petro-Canada station yesterday that their 91 doesn't contain ethanol. Ultramar 91 doesn't either so maybe all the stations in my area get the same 91 ethanol free gas?
I only use 91 or 94 for tools and toys so sometimes the gas sits for a couple months, the cars get 87.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I wouldn't hesitate to get gas anywhere fairly busy. The only time I ever hear of someone having gas problems, is with snowmobiles having to fill up at small remote stations that may only have 87, or 87 labelled as 91 octane.

I've only had gas problems once in the early 90's, during the winter, with a carbureted Corolla.

I'll put any gas in my cage, but I tend to stick to top tier 91 for my FZ1...

Next time you fill up with 94, have a good look at what is written on the button you are pressing.

I may not have a chance. Can you explain?

The ulta 94 has the sunoco logo on the button at the pump. But thinking about it further, maybe petro can was just to lazy or cheep, to change the lable on the button. Anyhow, have a good and safe trip in Canada.

The ulta 94 has the sunoco logo on the button at the pump. But thinking about it further, maybe petro can was just to lazy or cheep, to change the lable on the button. Anyhow, have a good and safe trip in Canada.

Some stations also say Husky, or Gulf depending on who they purchased the station from.

you generally can't go wrong with any of these: Shell, Petro Can, Esso, Ultramar, Canadian Tire. I will also add MacEwen which is a smaller chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back