Questions about picking the best CLP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to pick out the best all in one CLP and have a bunch of questions.

1. It seems there are petroleum based and synthetic based. Is there a particular reason for choosing one over the other or is it just different methods for the same goal and not a critical difference? Any "can't switch between them back and forth without fully cleaning the old stuff off" truth?

2. I see mentions of certain chemicals to definitely avoid. For instance Teflon (PTFE) (with heat releases poisonous gas) and anything with chlorine or chlorinated chemicals (with heat they release gases that can weaken metal). Are these valid concerns? Are there any other chemical to avoid?

3. Aerosol vs liquid. Prederence or any difference is the way it works from the propellants? Seems some say liquids line better and aerosols clean better.

4. Obviously I would also like something that can be used on the entire gun (metal, plastic, maybe even wood although my guns don't have wood) is "safe" for skin, the environment, etc and doesn't stink up the whole house as I have to clean indoors. So far I have tried Breakfree CLP which honesty has a very mild smell (which shocked me because being petroleum based I thought it would stink) which I don't mind but it does contain Teflon. I also tried Ballistol which seems to fit all the criteria except the scent is very strong. People say they even have drank it.

Any other suggestions. I think I will try G96 gun treatment next. Supposed to have a very mild scent and be good.

There really is no such thing as "the best CLP". CLP at best is a marginal, "better than nothing" lubricant. Just because it is what the military uses, or is "Mil-Spec", does not make it the ideal lubricant. Yes, for what 99% of civilian shooters require for lubricating their AR-15's at the range it will suffice. If you really want the "best" for your weapons, you will use a separate cleaner, oil, and grease to obtain the most worthwhile results.

Troops use CLP because it allows them to carry and use 1 product. Hence the name "CLP..... Cleans / Lubricates / Protects". There really isn't a need for civilian shooters to limit themselves to a single gun cleaning and lubricating product. With all of that said, if your heart is still set on using CLP, Break Free is one of the most widely used of these type of products. There are most likely several others that cost more, and claim to do more. If they do or not is for the end consumer to determine. I've been shooting for over 45 years, and not one of my weapons have ever seen a drop of CLP. As I said, there are better products for cleaning and lubricating weapons.

Do a Google search on Best Gun CLP". There are several really good ones. The 2 most popular are Breakfree CLP and Ballistol.

When dealing with pistols, I prefer petroleum base over plant base lubricants. But only because of the cold winters here in Michigan, when I may need to be outdoors for a few hours at a time. Petroleum doesn't get as tacky / sticky in the cold temps that may reach a low of zero degrees.

Whatever you choose, be sure that's it's not runny in hot weather. You want a lubricant that relatively stays-put. My two favorites right now are Slip 2000 EWL and Lucas Extreme Gun Oil. I clean my pistols with Ballistol or Birchwood-Casey 2 In 1 Bore Scrubber.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: billt460
If you really want the "best" for your weapons, you will use a separate cleaner, oil, and grease to obtain the most worthwhile results.
Can you share what you use as the three best separate ones? I just started shooting AR-15s again after a 15 year break. I use Butch's gun products in my bolt rifles. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
If you really want the "best" for your weapons, you will use a separate cleaner, oil, and grease to obtain the most worthwhile results.
Can you share what you use as the three best separate ones? I just started shooting AR-15s again after a 15 year break. I use Butch's gun products in my bolt rifles. Thanks.

Lately I've been using Weapon Shield Oil, and their Lithium Grease for all of my firearms lubrication requirements. I've found it to be better than anything I've used in the past. And I've tried just about everything over the decades. As for bore cleaners, I like Bore Tech Eliminator. It makes short work of carbon and any metallic fouling, and is extremely safe, and cannot harm your barrel like many of the Ammonia based bore cleaners can. Especially if left in too long. The stuff even has rust inhibitors in it. Once you clean your barrel with Bore Tech, you'll throw, or else give away all of your Ammonia based bore cleaners.

http://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=weapon+shield

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2093155799/bore-tech-eliminator-bore-cleaning-solvent-liquid

CLP is a jack of all trades..master of none-save your money....with the exception of Lube. For the occasional shooter (couple hundred rounds per year0- fine. For others forget it, except for using it as an over priced oil.

As far as protection it will do no better than a CLP. Put any oil on a fire arm. Put it in a regular gun cabinet in even a garage where temps and humidity very hugely. After 20 years there won't won't be a spot of rust on it. Ask me how I know.

Cleaner? forget it. But different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:

Lately I've been using Weapon Shield Oil, and their Lithium Grease for all of my firearms lubrication requirements. I've found it to be better than anything I've used in the past. And I've tried just about everything over the decades. As for bore cleaners, I like Bore Tech Eliminator. It makes short work of carbon and any metallic fouling, and is extremely safe, and cannot harm your barrel like many of the Ammonia based bore cleaners can. Especially if left in too long. The stuff even has rust inhibitors in it. Once you clean your barrel with Bore Tech, you'll throw, or else give away all of your Ammonia based bore cleaners.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2093155799/bore-tech-eliminator-bore-cleaning-solvent-liquid

First Weapon Shield IS a CLP.

Second, Haven't many said to stay away from weapon shield as it is highly chlorinated (I believe 30%+) and can cause the formation of hydrochloric acid which will weaken and discolor metal?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jinx18
Haven't many said to stay away from weapon shield as it is highly chlorinated (I believe 30%+) and can cause the formation of hydrochloric acid which will weaken and discolor metal?

I have not experienced, nor have I seen or heard of any such, "weakening and discoloration of metal", by using any of the Weapon Shield products. I have also not seen any documentation, (not to be confused with accusations), that support such claims. You have to realize a lot of this kind of nonsense comes from Weapon Shield's competitors.

1. It seems there are petroleum based and synthetic based. Is there a particular reason for choosing one over the other or is it just different methods for the same goal and not a critical difference? Any "can't switch between them back and forth without fully cleaning the old stuff off" truth? I prefer synthetic/biosynthetic.

2. I see mentions of certain chemicals to definitely avoid. For instance Teflon (PTFE) (with heat releases poisonous gas) and anything with chlorine or chlorinated chemicals (with heat they release gases that can weaken metal). Are these valid concerns? Are there any other chemical to avoid? Yes, it is valid. Superlube and Militec-1 come to mind.

3. Aerosol vs liquid. Prederence or any difference is the way it works from the propellants? Seems some say liquids line better and aerosols clean better. I only use liquids except when I am completely de-greasing something, and then non-chlorinated brake cleaner, or any derivative thereof works. For mounting scopes, I de-grease with acetone.

4. Obviously I would also like something that can be used on the entire gun (metal, plastic, maybe even wood although my guns don't have wood) is "safe" for skin, the environment, etc and doesn't stink up the whole house as I have to clean indoors. So far I have tried Breakfree CLP which honesty has a very mild smell (which shocked me because being petroleum based I thought it would stink) which I don't mind but it does contain Teflon. I also tried Ballistol which seems to fit all the criteria except the scent is very strong. People say they even have drank it.

Any other suggestions. I think I will try G96 gun treatment next. Supposed to have a very mild scent and be good.

G96 has a very mild scent.
I am currently experimenting with ALG's "Go-Juice" and am extremely impressed with every aspect of it. Previously, I was using SLIP 2000 EWL. Weaponshield smells the best to me, but does a poor job protecting against wear, compared to other options. Lucas Extreme Gun Oil is another with a mild scent and very good lab data, although I slightly preferred EWL to it, and definitely Go-Juice to all of them, due to how easy it is to clean a weapon lubed with it.

*My experience is with the suppressed M4 platform.

First Weapon Shield IS a CLP.

Second, Haven't many said to stay away from weapon shield as it is highly chlorinated (I believe 30%+) and can cause the formation of hydrochloric acid which will weaken and discolor metal?

It is a CLP, yes, but it does not contain solvents, specifically. Further, due to the fact that EXTREMELY long chains are used, no, it won't transform into hydrochloric acid, from what I understand. That said, recent lab data has come to light that has caused me to question some of Fennell's claims, but this statement seems to have been made years ago, and been part of peer reviewed work of his, so I'd stand by it, so far. Further, WS has been out long enough that if it did so, we'd know.

Speaking of cleaners, I think people get too excited about cleaning a bore. I get it for Benchrest and other things, but for the practical average hunter, or shooter of an M4? I don't think there is much merit. For example, I have around 5,000 rounds through the barrel that I shot this 10-shot group out of the other day, several thousand of which are bi-metal Russian ammo, and some of which (500ish) are all copper TSX bullets, etc. I think I last did more than just 3-5 passes with a lubed boresnake on it something like 3,500+ rounds ago. Accuracy remains completely unchanged. It is a 16.1" government profile barrel, chrome-lined. This group was shot using Wolf 55gr steel-case, black-box training fodder, with my 4x Nightforce (which has a 2MOA aiming center point), resting the rail of the rifle over a sand-bag, at 100 yards. With my filthy bore-snake-only barrel :p

2mgusld.jpg

Here is what that system does with decent duty ammo like 75gr Gold Dot (just skip to the end):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaWkaG7U4Ag

That is a 1.373" CTC 10-shot group from a .gov profile chrome-lined barrel shot with a 4x optic using bonded duty ammo. The literal BEST group I have seen come from this ammo was shot buy a guy on forums with the SN "Molon", and he managed around 0.9-1.0MOA with it, using a 25x scope and a Kreiger SS heavy-barreled bench-monster of an AR. I'll give up 0.3 MOA to my 4x optic and cheap home-made sand-bag and government profile CL barrel.

Last edited:
I had old stock cleaner, grease and oils. Several bottles of Shooters Choice lasted me a long time. When the stock ran low I tried Break Free. Seem okay for a couple uses but I had to buy & try other new to stuff.
Grease - Tetra
Oil - Slip2000 EWL
Cleaner - Bore Tech Eliminator
And since I ordered a good bit of the stuff I'm kind of stuck using them for some time.
But some reading I recently came across: (opinions vary)
http://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/05/lubrication-101/

If I didn't buy so much, especially Slip2000 EWL and several 16oz bottles of Bore Tech Eliminator, I'd be trying other products - maybe I'll go ahead and get a small order of some to try out.

Originally Posted By: Ws6

Further, WS has been out long enough that if it did so, we'd know.

Exactly. Weapon Shield has stood the test of time. Especially where any accusations of "discoloration", or "weakening of metal" is concerned. The stuff has been tested against many other lubricants by many people. If this stuff was harmful to firearms in any way, shape, or form, it would be all over the Internet. I won't get into an argument here about if it's "better" or not. I will simply say I found it good enough to pull me away from all of the other greases and lubricants I was using. And over the decades that's amounted to quite a few.

I read the same accusations about the "discoloring" and "weakening". And over a year ago I brought home a 4" piece of 4140 round stock that I faced off and polished on a lathe at work. I've kept part of it covered in Weapon Shield sitting on my bench for the better part of a year now. It's every bit as clean and shiny as the rest of the part. So I can say first hand as far as the discoloration claims go, they're all completely unfounded.

And as far as it being chlorinated, and causing "weakening of the metal". This stuff has been used on literally thousands of Glock pistols and AR-15 rifles since it's introduction. The small, thin steel tabs which the slide on a Glock rides, take some pretty serious shock every time the pistol is fired. Enough to twist the frame, which super slow motion video has shown. Especially with +P loads, or in the case of the Glock 18, in full auto. Another area is on the bolt lugs of AR's, where it is also used heavily by many. If Weapon Shield "weakened metal", it would seem all but certain that is one of the first places it would induce breakage or failure if it did..... It has not. Instead, it continues to receive very good reviews from it's consumers. Of which many like myself, are loyal customers.

No mention of what kind of guns you own/shoot, what kind of shooting you do, etc. Yes it makes a difference. Some lubes perform better in different environments than others and on some guns better than others.

1. It seems there are petroleum based and synthetic based. Is there a particular reason for choosing one over the other or is it just different methods for the same goal and not a critical difference? Any "can't switch between them back and forth without fully cleaning the old stuff off" truth?

Most petroleum based lubes will be pretty compatible with other petroleum based lubes. If you go with a synthetic bio based lubricant, yes you should stick with using just that lubricant.

2. I see mentions of certain chemicals to definitely avoid. For instance Teflon (PTFE) (with heat releases poisonous gas) and anything with chlorine or chlorinated chemicals (with heat they release gases that can weaken metal). Are these valid concerns? Are there any other chemical to avoid?

PTFE is not that big a deal. Several lubes come with it, and the lube doesn't get hot enough to be a problem. If it does release a "poisonous gas" it will be such an inconsequential amount. Kinda like not eating apples because they have arsenic in them (they do)

3. Aerosol vs liquid. Preference or any difference is the way it works from the propellants? Seems some say liquids line better and aerosols clean better.

I despise aerosol for "applying" lubricant. I love aerosol for cleaning purposes though. I only use aerosol lubes for cleaning, never for lubricating. After the part is cleaned, I use a needle oiler (from brownells) to apply the lube exactly where I want it. Also, most aerosol sprays are diluted with a solvent to thin it out so it sprays out of the can. Solvent is a good cleaner, not a good lubricant.

Breakfree removed PTFE from their product 5-10 years ago, last I looked into it. Also, Breakfree is no longer approved for use by US armed forces. It does not meet the latest mil-spec lube requirement. Just an FYI. It's still a good lube, but just keep that in mind.

Ballistol

Ballistol is an interesting product. It seems to have a lot of solvents in it, so it does a decent enough job of cleaning. I haven't found it to be that impressive a lube though. I personally would use Breakfree CLP before Ballistol. I still own and use it for certain things though. Other uses include spraying on leather and spraying on cuts and scrapes(!!) Not sure about that last one, but the Germans used it as an antiseptic during the war.

I think I will try G96 gun treatment next. Supposed to have a very mild scent and be good.

It smells like eggnog. Smells nice to me. I use it sometimes. Its a good product.

For cleaning, I personally use Remoil in the aerosol can the most. It does a good job of spraying parts down, saturating them just right, and cleaning them to my satisfaction. I wipe everything clean and lube with a dedicated lube afterwards.

For the BEST CLP on the market, the G96 synthetic CLP is probably near the top. It is actually approved for use by US and Canadian forces and is probably the most tested product that a civilian can purchase. I've used it extensively and it is an excellent product. G96 synthetic CLP and G96 Gun Treatment are two different products. If you want to buy and use just one, I would get the G96 synthetic CLP first.

If you want a dedicated lube, I have used and really like the following products:

1) G96 synthetic CLP (best general purpose CLP. Also has exceptional cold flow properties for winter hunting guns)
2) Slip 2000 EWL (one of the best AR-15 lubricants)
3) Weaponshield (another fantastic AR-15 lubricant)
4) TW25B gun grease (my favorite lube for carry guns. Stays put for a very long time. Lube doesn't dry up or need reapplied)
5) M-Pro 7 (great line of products. A bit expensive.)
6) Breakfree LP (not CLP. Lacks the solvent of the CLP, a little thicker. Excellent lube that stays put)

I use FrogLube on our pistols, and even my Wife's old Stevens 85A .22 rifle. I started hunting as a kid in the early/mid 70s and always used Hoppe's. The one thing I hated about it was that I suffered from migraines growing up, and the smell of Hoppe's triggered them immediately. Heard about FrogLube a few years ago and decided to try it. Haven't looked back since.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted By: AnthemBassMan
I use FrogLube on our pistols, and even my Wife's old Stevens 85A .22 rifle. I started hunting as a kid in the early/mid 70s and always used Hoppe's. The one thing I hated about it was that I suffered from migraines growing up, and the smell of Hoppe's triggered them immediately. Heard about FrogLube a few years ago and decided to try it. Haven't looked back since.

L8R,
Matt

I really liked Froglube when it first came out, but subsequent usage showed that if applied as a light sheen, rust occurred on my weapons, and if applied thicker, it would varnish and become sticky.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Ballistol is all you need.

I would disagree. It's not 1943. And the OP isn't on a German line fighting Russians.

There are better lubes out today. Different style guns need different lubes. Ballistol is marginal at best compared to whats available today.

Originally Posted By: Ws6
I really liked Froglube when it first came out, but subsequent usage showed that if applied as a light sheen, rust occurred on my weapons, and if applied thicker, it would varnish and become sticky.

I've never heard of any issues like that before. But I use it on my CCW pistols and there hasn't been any signs of rust for the past couple of years. And that's with just a monthly wipe down to clear out any lint buildup. The only negative I've read about was AR users finding that it thickened up too much in cold temps.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I would disagree. It's not 1943. And the OP isn't on a German line fighting Russians. There are better lubes out today. Different style guns need different lubes. Ballistol is marginal at best compared to whats available today.

To paraphrase Bubba. Ballistol contains mostly Mineral Oil. Mineral Oil was a terrific remedy for constipation. Back in the day when Ballistol, "was all you needed" to lube your guns. Today I wouldn't use Mineral Oil to cure constipation, any more than I would use Ballistol to lube my guns. Today there are much better products to use for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back