Fram tg10575 cut 8k

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you go by looks, the Tough Guard won over the NAPA/Gold.

If wavy pleats bother you, you could either shorten the change interval or switch to a filter with reinforced synthetic media.

The synthetic media would be less effected by fuel dilution also.

IDK, just a suggestion.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Originally Posted By: Lubener
If you can't see it, it has half the amount of media than any filter I have seen.

How are you able to tell it is half the media than any other filter if I haven't cut the media off and measured it?

Exactly ... can't really tell what the actual total surface area is by the number of pleats because pleat depth is also part of the equation. Actually, the number of pleats on this TG looks to be ample. The orange cans (EG) seem to have less pleats than the same models in the TG version.

While I never had the TG fail - the wire mesh backed media tied to strong end caps makes Ultra a real step change unlike Orange to TG ...

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Lubener
If you can't see it, it has half the amount of media than any filter I have seen.

How are you able to tell it is half the media than any other filter if I haven't cut the media off and measured it?

Exactly ... can't really tell what the actual total surface area is by the number of pleats because pleat depth is also part of the equation. Actually, the number of pleats on this TG looks to be ample. The orange cans (EG) seem to have less pleats than the same models in the TG version.

ZeeOSix - precisely. Fram uses a depth media and you can't go by total surface area alone. Perhaps MotorKing can tell what the capacity is for the TG10575 and XG10575. What is the best way to tell if the media is at end of life? Wavy pleats is only a tattle tale sign the media may be nearing end of life.

The only way you can tell if a filter is at its capacity is differential pressure across the element. The only way to do that with a filter with a bypass is cut it open and rig up a test stand some how. Even then once you do that you have to know what pressure is acceptable across the media and it is going to be different for every single type of filter and I am betting the filter companies don't even have that data.

Another thing that comes in to play on how the element will hold up is bypass pressure. In my application it is 20 psi on some brands. That is a large amount for a porus oil soaked anything to hold up against. Of course the media has a high possibility of deforming. The one and only way to tell if a filter has failed in this aspect is if it is blatantly torn apart. Even then there can be places in the media that have opened up that you would be unable to detect.

So ultimately we are just showing off Everytime we cut a filter open and post it.

FRAM can put a complete filter on their test stand and run a differential pressure vs flow rate test. If the delta-p builds quickly to the relief valve setting, then it would be plugged and judged to be after end of life.

The other day I saw one company offering the service but now can not find them.

I did find this one just now.
http://www.ifts-usa.com/file/Engine%20Lube%20Oil%20Filters(3).pdf

For some reason I can not insert a link. You may have to copy and paste.

A very nice group of tests.

I imagine it is expensive.

Last edited:
And stop saying that an oil filter looks like it has been used as much as it can. Unless it is completely packed with sludge there is no way to tell from a picture on the internet how utilized a filter is.

This is the truth... and I *have* seen filters where they had the pleats filled to the top with sludge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back