NYS Emissions on a CA Emissions Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question: Will non-CA compliant emissions parts cause a car to fail emissions in NYS?

Background: My 1999 Saturn SL2 has been throwing a P420 code. The car is CA emissions, and as I understand it, any repairs done to a CA emissions car in New York at a shop is required to have CA emissions compliant parts used for replacement. Wondering if i can save some $$ doing it myself and going to Federal emissions parts, or if I'm just setting myself up to fail come inspection time.

On this car there is (as I understand it) a cat (precat I believe) in the exhaust manifold and then the catalytic converter. Catalytic converter was replaced a two years ago with OEM parts, and I am told this time it is the exhaust manifold that needs to be replaced this time. The CA emissions parts are significantly more expensive and given the age and value of the car I'd like to save some money.

TIA.

I'm pretty suspicious. I'd try a pair of oxygen sensors next.

Your two-year-old cat is still under EPA cat replacement warranty (required!) so I'd also pursue that route.

Cats and precats are the only emissions parts subject to that law in NY. Also, CA requires a 5-year/50k warranty (Federal warranty is only 25k)

The good news is that Magnaflow makes a California-legal exhaust manifold converter for your Saturn
smile.gif

FWIW the car runs its cat I/M Monitor when it's fully warmed up, so the precat will be working in harmony with the main cat. There's no specific diagnostic for the pre-cat, which will either aid or annoy you as you pursue justice.

I would get a shop to fail it for emissions, note the code, and give you an estimate for a regular cat. Then go back to the guy that installed the cat two years ago and plunk down the paperwork.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I'm pretty suspicious. I'd try a pair of oxygen sensors next.

Your two-year-old cat is still under EPA cat replacement warranty (required!) so I'd also pursue that route.

I agree. Start with the inexpensive parts you can easily change yourself and hope you get lucky.

Yes you are correct you can have two so shouldn't be an issue to pass emissions but still would have to get scanner and time it right.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Cats and precats are the only emissions parts subject to that law in NY. Also, CA requires a 5-year/50k warranty (Federal warranty is only 25k)

Didn't know this warranty existed, thanks!

---

I have just under 2 months until I have to have inspection so my plan is O2 sensors and then to move onto the exhaust manifold if necessary but the CA manifold is 3.5 times the FED manifold so I wanted to try to figure that out before I'm in a bind.

Thinking about it a little more, I'd find it hard to believe a new FED emissions part would cause it to fail emissions in NY since it's not uncommon to see a car brought in from out of state but that's complete conjecture on my part.

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Didn't know this warranty existed, thanks!

---

I have just under 2 months until I have to have inspection so my plan is O2 sensors and then to move onto the exhaust manifold if necessary but the CA manifold is 3.5 times the FED manifold so I wanted to try to figure that out before I'm in a bind.

Thinking about it a little more, I'd find it hard to believe a new FED emissions part would cause it to fail emissions in NY since it's not uncommon to see a car brought in from out of state but that's complete conjecture on my part.

Many if not most garages probably won't fail it for not being a CARB cat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back