2008 Accord Spark Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of changing the spark plugs on my 2008 Honda Accord with about 95,000 miles. Looking for any tips, watch outs, hints, and spark plug recommendations you may have. Thanks.

4 cylinder? Easy as pie. Right there in the top, easy to get to, under a plastic cover. I use a good spark plug socket with a locking extension that locks to the socket. Put a little dab of dielectric grease on the spark plug boot when you reassemble.

Pull out one of the factory spark plugs to write the part number down. My local Auto Zone and Advance Auto never carry that part number and the dealer wanted $20-$23/plug, so I order the correct spark plugs on eBay or Amazon typically. The correct plugs are about $10 each online. Don't cheap out and buy cheaper plugs. Use the factory part number and you won't have to change the plugs again until 200K miles.

I have 500K miles on Honda 4 cyl engines and I always use the factory plug number and change them every 100K miles. Anything more/less than that is not needed. It takes me less than 10 minutes to change the plugs on a Honda 4 cyl, and likely under 5 minutes. Easiest spark plug change there is.

I recently replaced the plugs in my K24 Element. It's easy as pie. I think I got the best price from Advance Auto with a 20% off coupon. Something like $32 out the door for all 4. I agree with bubba, stick with the OEM part number (I think NGKs).

Might as well change the pcv valve while your at it with an oem unit. Usually the internal spring breaks around 60k miles. Also some drain and fills with the atf. About three of them spaced out 500-1000 miles.

My biggest advice, do it with a completely cold engine. I like using NGK Iridium IX plugs on my Hondas. If not in OM, pretty easy to find correct plug at the NGK site application look up. Suppose Denso similar.

Just take your time, one at a time.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Double platinum and change every 125K miles.

OE plugs are iridium, and spark plugs are included in the MM
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Denso or NGK iridium

Note that there are different plugs for PZEV and non-PZEV models

Ah yes - a few more details

4 cylinder PZEV

Originally Posted By: greasegunn

Ah yes - a few more details

4 cylinder PZEV

According to the 08 Accord owners manual, for the 2.4L PZEV engine, NGK DILZKR7A11GS is the spec plug. NGK says it the DILZKR7B11GS, which leads me to wonder if the 'B' before the 11 supersedes the A plug.

Yikes - just checked the Rock Auto catalog - the NGK PZEV plugs are $16.60 a pop. What's up with that? The non-PZEV plugs are about half that. Are they interchangeable?

Yikes - just checked the Rock Auto catalog - the NGK PZEV plugs are $16.60 a pop. What's up with that? The non-PZEV plugs are about half that. Are they interchangeable?

The Denso plugs are only $9.89, and even less with the promo code
smile.gif

If you still want NGK, you can get them on eBay for $13.24

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I recently replaced the plugs in my K24 Element. It's easy as pie. I think I got the best price from Advance Auto with a 20% off coupon. Something like $32 out the door for all 4. I agree with bubba, stick with the OEM part number (I think NGKs).

Are the plug hole seals typically replaced on the coil pack when you replace the plugs?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Double platinum and change every 125K miles.

This is likely the first and last change out. I live in central New York - rust will slowly but surely get it. If not, the tranny or a fender bender will take it out eventually.

Anyone have a favorite spark plug boot puller they use?

your hands
smile.gif

I thought they didn't have spark plug boots, just the coils

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Anyone have a favorite spark plug boot puller they use?

your hands
smile.gif

I thought they didn't have spark plug boots, just the coils

Ah yes - this will actually be my first change out of plugs with the coil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back