2017 Yamaha XT250 vs 2016 Suzuki DR-Z400S

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm buying my first motorcycle this month. I hate the idea of street riding, cruising, sitting on the interstate for hours, whatever you folks like to call it. I do like the idea of exploring old towns, off the beaten track, back woods, middle of nowhere, swimming and camping in remote locations, etc. I think I have decided a street legal dual sport motorcycle will be a perfect fit for what I want to do.

I think I have narrowed it down to the 2017 Yamaha XT250 vs 2016 Suzuki DR-Z400S. Both are in my price range, both reliable, not too heavy, should be fun to ride, etc. I like that the Yamaha is fuel injected and gets 75-80 MPG. The carburetor on the Suzuki is a real downer for me, but not a deal killer, if it is a superior bike.

The 650CC KLR and DRZ bikes are probably out of the running due to them being better road bikes and less so off road bikes, plus they weigh 100 pounds or so more. If I begin planning multi day adventure trips, the 650CC bikes will be back in the running.

Anyone have any insight on these (or other) dual sport bikes? Any info for this newb would be greatly appreciated.

The DRZ is a dirt bike with street gear added to it. I rode one for several years in the desert and mountain single track. With a few modifications you can make it more dirt friendly - Dual sport bikes are always a balancing act. It is a bit heavy if you are not used to heavy bikes. The carburetor should not be a deal breaker

The XT would be a good bike to get your feet wet. It will handle some trail riding and certainly dirt roads.

Thumper Talk is the BITOG of dirt and Dual Sport bikes

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Is height an issue? Will you be riding on the street much?

I'm 6'2" with a 32 inch inseam. 50% street, 50% offroad. Just cruising around town to learn how to ride. Zero interstate driving, or perhaps just from one exit to the next at most. I sat on a DR-Z400S today and it wasn't too tall. Bike felt like a heavy pig though.

I'd probably go with the DR-Z due to the increased power, liquid cooling, and the ability to grow with your capabilities. It really depends on your intended use off road. The XT is probably a little lighter. I just bought a new DR650 in May. I use it for bombing backroads, gravel roads, and single track. I don't anticipate any nasty off road action, so it works well for me. Just rolled over 1000 Mi yesterday.

As appealing as the WR is, for getting your feet wet the XT sounds like a great entry level dual sport bike. Electric start, disc brakes, fuel injected, lots of suspension travel and ground clearance....and it's a legendary Yami XT thumper. Whats not to love? I thought I wanted to get into adventure touring in 08, so I bought a new Suzuki DL1000. It was a great bike, but way too heavy and leaned more to roads than trails. If I were only 40 years younger!

The 250 will be a bit buzzy on the road but will shine on trails due to its lighter weight. The DRZ is a better all around, it will be better on the road and almost as eazy on the trail. After you get used to it on trails you wont even think about any extra weight it has. Google specs on both bikes I'll be willing to bet the DRZ isnt much heavier and most of that weight will be in the motor which is low in the frame so it shouldnt be an issue. The DRZ has way more aftermarket support, go to ebay and look at the available parts, it will blow your mind. Tbe DRZ also has several forms Enduro, Dual sport, super moto, so resale will be better and bigger bikes hold value better.

SUZUKI DRZ all the way. Im 5'10 and ride a XR650R so at your size the DRZ will be no problem. Good luck, be safe and have fun.

Last edited:
I think I have decided to get the XT250. Good starter bike, light weight, easy to learn on.

Hopefully Suzuki updates the DRZ with fuel injection in the next couple of years, and then I could trade in the XT250 if I want a bigger bike.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
easy to learn on.

My advice is to take an MSF Classes course, and then some advanced rider training. Back when I assisted at a high-performance riding school, it was amazing how many people had been riding for years, with early learned bad habits. A common statement from students was along the lines of "I've been riding for (XX) number of years. But now realize I had one year of poor riding experience, (XX) number of times".

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
easy to learn on.

My advice is to take an MSF Classes course, and then some advanced rider training. Back when I assisted at a high-performance riding school, it was amazing how many people had been riding for years, with early learned bad habits. A common statement from students was along the lines of "I've been riding for (XX) number of years. But now realize I had one year of poor riding experience, (XX) number of times".

Excellent advice!!

If you haven't bought the new bike yet I would reconsider the 400. You will get tired of a 250, and even a 400 is barely enough if you're doing street riding, which you'll probably want to do once you get proficient on a motorcycle. I would get the DR650, but that's just me.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
If you haven't bought the new bike yet I would reconsider the 400. You will get tired of a 250, and even a 400 is barely enough if you're doing street riding, which you'll probably want to do once you get proficient on a motorcycle. I would get the DR650, but that's just me.

I despise the idea of "street" riding. The bike will be driven to the woods, for trail riding, camping, fishing, target practice, etc. That's it. 65 MPH top speed is plenty for what I need. I WANT a low cost street legal dirt bike. The XT250 fits that bill.

The XT250 weighs 290 lbs. The DRZ400 weighs 320 lbs. The DR650 weighs 370 lbs. The KLR650 weighs 435 lbs. The heavier 650's are not all that great in the dirt based on YouTube videos I have seen.

The XT250 gets 76 mpg, the DRZ400 gets 45-50 mpg. When the zombies are attacking and the world is burning to the ground, 76 mpg sure beats 45 mpg. Just joking. Or am I
wink.gif

But in all actuality, I am negotiating a good deal on a used DRZ400 for a nice price, so if everything works out, I will buy BOTH a new XT250 and a used DRZ400. Win win.

I bought a used DR-Z400S today
grin.gif

Couldn't pass on the price for a nice clean example that was owned and well maintained by the Suzuki dealer mechanic.

Congratulations bubba, Check out some nice Utube videos of the DRZ, on both street and trails. You'll like the extra power over the XT250 in both cases.

DRZ. Get a better seat for it. A 250 is ok but the 400 will be better on road and just as good once you get used to it off road too. I rode 125 and 250 2 strokes all my life and bought a xr650r a few years ago. It was a bit to get used to but it will cruise on the road at 80 and is great on the dirt. A little time in the saddle and you wont even think about an extra 50 lbs. The DRZ has tons of after market stuff and comes in Enduro, super moto and dual sport models. DRZ period...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back