Levelised Cost of Energy Storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in Oz, we are continually hearing about renewables and storage being "just around the corner". The Power Wall is on the market, and for the life of me I can't work out why you would buy one, when the payback is something like 3 times the guarantee period.

Similarly, when the grid starts relying on all the plugged in EVs for stability, I question exactly how much they are going to pay the EV owners for the wear and tear on their batteries, through having addition discharges to meet grid needs.

Saw on Linkedin the other day some discussions on the levelised cost of storage, and what the "Power Price" that should be charged from stored electricity should be, based on
* Purchase price;
* energy Losses in/losses out (cycle efficiency);
* Number of cycles;
* Frequency of cycles; and
* depth of discharge per cycle.

Preso
https://www.worldenergy.org/wp-content/u...rgy-Council.pdf
https://www.lazard.com/media/2391/lazards-levelized-cost-of-storage-analysis-10.pdf

Interesting that solar charging and subsequent discharge is different to that provided by the intermittency/gusty nature of wind, versus just general "storage".

Li "storage" was 400 to 600 Euros ($440USD)per MWh extracted, which is 44c/KWh....so that's roughly what an EV owner recieving free electricity SHOULD get back for every KWh that the grid draws off them for stability...it's about 10 times the wholesale cost, and multiples of the retail...and I'll bet they never get paid that much.

As usual nothing is ever as simple as it seems at first sight.

Government will step in and "level" the playing field by making the conventional power rates "more equitable".
Happening right now in my province.

With current technology, only economical energy storage is hot water tank. Lithium batteries just cost too much, and lifespan is not long enough.

IMO most profitable solutions for households are energy conservation and decent amount of own solar generation without need for storaging or backfeeding. If you have an EV it's somewhat problematic, for most of the week it won't be at home plugged in when sun is up.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
PV panel owners get 45 eurocents per kwh here... and the rest of us has to pay for that!

Yep,
wholesale here has been 4.5c(Oz) for half a decade, retail, 25c, but the peak of the solar feed in tarriff was 60c...that's due to roll off soon, and they are grizzling at "having their money taken away", as thy are getting paid the same price as the other generators of electricity.

The need is for on-line power plant scaled storage for wind and solar. NGK has very good scalable commercial storage systems.

I wanted to buy some stock in that venture, but it's not open to US investors w/o a healthy "premium" so that ain't happening ... Grrrr ...

If climate change drives rain further north and south (away from equator), we'll have to look at new opportunities for hydro...

Calif has some pumped lake head that uses night time power to put water up hill, so they can generate at peak demand in the PM... Seems to be working. Just need to find dry valleys not to far from pumping plants... Oh that's right, you'all don't have thousands of miles of canals to move your water around
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back