Question: complain to dealer or let it go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 2012 Toyota Highlander a little over a year ago. It was a very low mileage lease. All maintenance bad been done by the dealer. I have the documentation. I also got a couple of free oil changes. SO, today I changed the oil for the first time and noticed that the hatch/cover that goes over where the oil filter canister is missing. As it has only had oil changes done at the dealer it had to have been the dealer that failed to reinstall it.

My question to everyone is this: how big of a deal is that little plate? The canister is fairly far up so I'm not sure it needs protection. Is there any other purpose? I'm trying to decide whether to make a fuss, but a new part, or just ignore it. Thoughts?

PS. Thus was my first canister oil change and I can say I'm not a fan. Oh well. It is a good car, anyway. I used M1 AFE 0W20. It had had TGMO 0W20 up to this point (52K miles).

I myself would probably let it go. It may have been missing when you purchased it.

If you bought it from a Toyota dealer esp if it was certified then yes I'd mention it. Not a big deal but I'd have them replace it free of charge. I'd call and talk to the service manager so they know you mean business.

Used cars are sold "as is" as a rule.
Where are these things built?
Kentucky?
It's very possible that this cover was simply discontinued in production as unneeded.
It's also very possible that if installed, the cover hits the dumpster at the first oil change.
The dealership will likely tell you the same and if you fuss enough might just swipe one off a similar vehicle and give it to you.
They might also tell you that you probably lost it on the road somewhere and that that's a common occurrence.
The good news is that they can supply you the Toyota Genuine part for $89.99 plus tax.
The cover is probably not of any importance. You've driven how far and how long without it?

Yeah, I've probably driven a long time without it. I guess I was just irritated since the dealer is the only one that had touched it. No biggie I suppose.

Are you sure a cover goes there? They don't show it as a separate part on this diagram...
http://genuineoemtoyotaparts.com/2012-to...14400E041-item/

If there is one, it looks like the only way to get it would be to order the whole undercover/center shield. On a lot of vehicles with an undercover though, the oil filter access is left open. Maybe you could see if the parts department has part # 514400E041 in stock and take a look at it.

Those undercovers are primarily for aerodynamics and noise reduction. No real harm if a piece is missing, but if the dealer did discard a part, I would want it replaced on a newer car that was a lease turn in and probably some kind of "certified pre owned" vehicle. It may be more trouble than it's worth though, depends on the dealer.

Is this it ?

917-016-P.1-002.JPG

917-016-P.1-001.JPG

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
go to junkyard or upick yard

Not everybody is junkyard caliber. Some people simply do not belong in a junkyard.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
go to junkyard or upick yard

Not everybody is junkyard caliber. Some people simply do not belong in a junkyard.

Have I just been insulted?
cool.gif

Anyway, I probably won't worry about it. It doesn't look like it serves much of a purpose. I'm glad to be doing my own changes on this vehicle now. You wouldn't believe how tight things were torqued by the dealer. I had to use a breaker bar on the filter housing. Thankfully no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back