Is the VCM on honda accord V6's a problem area?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's getting time to retire the 97 accord and I've had my eye on a used accord coupe from the 08-11 model years. I wanted the 6 cylinder automatic but I'm seeing some posts online (not here as my search revealed nothing) that the VCM was a problem. I'm not sure exactly what the issue was but I don't want to buy a headache or a obvious time bomb so I figured I'd ask the experts here.
smile.gif
My commute is almost all highway, 115 miles round trip if that matters. If anyone can shed some light on what the problem was/is and what model years are affected, that would be awesome.

Thanks for any feedback you are able to provide.

I don't know that the VCM mechanics were prone to failure, but it did apparently contribute to high oil consumption in certain model years. The problem was widespread enough to result in a class-action suit that Honda settled.

Sorry I can't help with precisely what model years were involved (though I think the 08-11 model years were involved) or if current versions are "fixed", but it's worth paying attention to the issue. Some of the Honda forums likely have more info.

VCM engines seem to be very hard on oil, and Honda used an extremely liberal oil change interval (sometimes allowing as many as 10,000 miles or more) without a very stout oil specification (just basic API SM/SN). If you come across one with documented oil changes with synthetic oil at short intervals, it'd probably be fine. I would generally avoid them as a rule, but would consider one that I know has been taken care of.

I had a 2008 v6 automatic. I personally did't care for the cylinder deactivation feature.

The stereo was programmed to emit sound waves to counter the frequency from the deactivated cylinders.

My oil was never an issue. I put 40k on the car in 2 years, using PP 5w20. No consumption whatsoever.

Last edited:
There was a lot of discussion here because I drove much of it. Here is everything you need to know. Spend a couple hours reading all the court documents:

http://settlement-claims.com/enginemisfire/index.aspx

Bottom line, Honda stonewalled its owners while it scrambled to engineer a fix. The problem was cylinder deactivation at highway cruising speeds ("ecomode") that allowed differential cooling, shrinkage of piston rings and sump oil getting past the rings and straight out the tailpipe. So, a 5 qt sump with an OLM recommending 8,000 mile OCIs put Honda (and its dealers) in the ridiculous position of declaring oil burn of 1 qt/1000 miles as being "normal". Many soccer moms who never checked their oil seized up. Many long time Honda owners and fanboys got stiffed by the engine company who could do no wrong.

In the 2011 MY, Honda announced "improvements" across their engine line that included upgraded oil control rings and moly impregnated piston skirts (the source of much discussed "high-moly factory fill"). Apparently, these fixes (and other unpublicized ones) worked. Our 2011 Accord burns no oil, at least through 50,000 miles. Honda went on to extend VCM to the Acura line. The settlement (if ever actually enacted), gives owners of these guinea pig engines an 8 yr warranty and reimburses those with documentation of money spent on repairs for a very limited number of engine codes (non-dealer repairs need not apply). Honda's ruthlessness through this entire event shocked many loyal owners fooled by corporate customer service propaganda. In the end, Honda was exposed as fallible, willing to screw its customers to save its own hide and ruthless in court. Quite a lesson for feel-good brand loyalists.

Caveat Emptor.

Last edited:
I own an '08 v6 with VCM II. I was concerned with all these stories but mine consumes little oil and I do 4-5 k mile OCI, mostly with conventional oil. Most(maybe 80%)of my miles were high speed highway miles with the engine in ECO mode (VCM cylinder deactivation mode). Must have got a good one. I keep the PCV valve clean, which I think probably is causing a lot of the observed issues. Honda does not mention PCV maintenance in their owner manual(or the MM) and ppl probably are unaware of it.
My main complaints are the uncomfortable seats and the very weak paint. ANYTHING will chip it. But the engine and trans appear to be durable. Looking for excuses to buy a newer car but can't find any...

I had a 2011 V6 over a 100k miles no issues, but some have reported them. All current Hondas Acuras use the same V6 all of them are VCM engines. My Acuras are smoother then my Accord was FYI.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
There was a lot of discussion here because I drove much of it. Here is everything you need to know. Spend a couple hours reading all the court documents:

http://settlement-claims.com/enginemisfire/index.aspx

Bottom line, Honda stonewalled its owners while it scrambled to engineer a fix. The problem was cylinder deactivation at highway cruising speeds ("ecomode") that allowed differential cooling, shrinkage of piston rings and sump oil getting past the rings and straight out the tailpipe. So, a 5 qt sump with an OLM recommending 8,000 mile OCIs put Honda (and its dealers) in the ridiculous position of declaring oil burn of 1 qt/1000 miles as being "normal". Many soccer moms who never checked their oil seized up. Many long time Honda owners and fanboys got stiffed by the engine company who could do no wrong.

In the 2011 MY, Honda announced "improvements" across their engine line that included upgraded oil control rings and moly impregnated piston skirts (the source of much discussed "high-moly factory fill"). Apparently, these fixes (and other unpublicized ones) worked. Our 2011 Accord burns no oil, at least through 50,000 miles. Honda went on to extend VCM to the Acura line. The settlement (if ever actually enacted), gives owners of these guinea pig engines an 8 yr warranty and reimburses those with documentation of money spent on repairs for a very limited number of engine codes (non-dealer repairs need not apply). Honda's ruthlessness through this entire event shocked many loyal owners fooled by corporate customer service propaganda. In the end, Honda was exposed as fallible, willing to screw its customers to save its own hide and ruthless in court. Quite a lesson for feel-good brand loyalists.

Caveat Emptor.

Great post!! And 100% Spot-on.

Thank you. One of the really interesting things found in the court documents is that Honda insisted on changing the name of the claim from "excessive oil burning" to "engine misfire" caused by four specific engine codes. By doing so, Honda reduced the complaint from a very general wide ranging issue to a very narrow, less costly one. The original lawsuit was brought by two plaintiffs. One was a V6 VCM owner but guess what? The second plaintiff owned a non-VCM four cylinder! They both had identical issues. Excessive oil burn!

Brilliantly, the Honda attorneys bought off the 4 cyl plaintiff so that the issue could be reduced (contained) to only V6's with VCM. [What bigger problems are you hiding Honda!] They changed the name to "engine misfire" so that they could further tighten any claims to four specific CEL numbers. In order to get reimbursement (Honda's only cash outlay in the settlement), an owner had to have documentation referencing one or more of these four specific CELs. Of course by now, most disgruntled owners had their Hondas fixed or sold and knew nothing about these settlement details. Honda threw in the warranty extension but escaped with very little cash outlay, other than paying their excellent lawyers.

And all of you in the public who hold Honda in high regard never heard about this. Well done Honda!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indyvwhonda
As someone who spent several years working at a Honda dealership... my personal choice would have the 4-cylinder engine.

Agreed. Once upon a time I test drove the 6 and 4 back to back and the difference in handling was very noticeable. With much less weight on the nose, the four greatly reduces the plowing understeer of the six. Plus, get a manual and rev the life outta that four. Plenty of fun to drive. (But I'd go with the Civic Si)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back