Questions about manual transmission sounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new to me 2005 Ford Focus. I has a 5 speed (ford mtx75 gear box) It makes a CLICK or CLACK sound when letting off the clutch when driving. It also makes the sound if I'm stopped, put the clutch peddle down put in neutral and let off the clutch i hear "CLANK" coming from the gear box it self. Its not from the peddle or from anything inside the car.

It sound almost like the differential or the throw out bearing or who knows what.. Its very annoying.

My question is, is this normal?

I have a 2016 Dart that makes a similar sound and it only has 2K miles on it but the Dodge dealer SWEARS the sound is normal in that car.

Last edited:
I had an SVT a few years back and it did not do this but then again that had a different gear box (Getrag MT285), 6 speed. But as for this 2005 Focus if its normal ill forget about it.

Dont like that CLICK or CLANK sound at all but if its harmless ill forget about it.

The Smart and Colt in my sig with Getrag gearboxes do that noise, if I remember correctly, from new. It is not very loud and you can only hear it if the engine is off or idling and the car stopped.
The two Fiat also do that, although it is almost inaudible. I always thought it was related to the hydraulic clutch command being more "dry" when it engages/disengages, vs the cable command in the Fiat..but that's just a guess.

If if can reassure you, the rental Renault Twingo I drove last month also did that, and it has only 8000Km on the clock.

I hear this also, especially on a cold winter day right after I start up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back