Things your dogs have eaten.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
After having a wonderful outing to watch the fireworks (which I also saw were being recorded by a drone, which was a first), we came back and the tray of jalapeno poppers I had sitting on the counter.... was gone. My dog ate like 20 of them! He was desperate to get out and has been drinking a lot of water since we got home.

My parent's spaniel would eat pants, shoes, an entire thanksgiving turkey....etc

What's the strangest thing your dog or dogs have eaten?

Nice.

My beagles had a particular liking for the sun-dried chipmunk and frog jerky that was created when they got run over on our road. They would grab and swallow way before you had any chance to sweep it out of their mouth.

Between the two they were somewhat different though. One would eat first and then determine if it was "food". The other one would usually take a quick sniff before ingestion. The quick eater would eat anything that was on the floor or patio including rocks, insects, dirt or plastic parts.

20 minutes ago I was reading a story of a dog that stuck its head into a jar to eat the trail mix inside.
Once it had consumed all of the trail mix, it found its head stuck in said jar.
Owners came home and had to take the dog to a fire station to have the plastic
jar cut from its head.

Back in 2011 I think, my bull terrier ate a golfcart tire. It was a nice day leaving her outside and she found a tire, i was pulling it out of her butt for a week. She wound up living to 13 yr old until a few months back.

Many years ago I brought home some catfish I had caught. While cleaning the first one I counted 51 shad in it's gut. I walked away to get a bucket and when I came back all the shad were gone. My sister had left her little weiner dog at my house to watch and she had eaten all the shad. Her little belly was dragging on the ground.

My sister was babysitting for some people years ago, and the family's dog did the classic eating crayons thing and pooped rainbows.

My elkhound used to have a penchant for eating hallucinogenic toadstools that grew around a pine tree in the back yard...after eating enough to vomit, she limited it to a little staggering high thereafter.

Stupidest thing she ate was those smelly green jelly like crystals to keep animals off gardens.

She was digging holes, and I was backfilling them with the crystals to stop her redigging...she dug them up and ate the crystals.

Phone call to the crystal company
"What happens if an animal eats your crystals"
"they won't they hate the smell and won't go near them".
"Well my dog is chasing them up and eating them".
"Oh.....we don't think that they are overly toxic, but really haven't researched that. Maybe you should stop using them".

So I started burying her faeces then...that worked.

My dog would poop at a certain spot in our neighborhood when I took it for a run. There was plenty of other dog poop there. One time I saw poop that had multicolor sparkles in it.

When she was small my dog ate her own poop. She liked it. She was the runt apparently, and she probably survived eating poop. Now she is OK and doesn't like it. Many dogs like cat poop I guess which is disgusting. I guess they aren't picky eaters. Funny she is very particular about water if it is fresh clean filtered water she goes right to it and starts drinking. Now when she gets her food she looks at me with one paw up and I have to leave the room so she can eat in private, and I do. They are funny.

Cayenne pepper. She had been chewing on our apple tree so I put cayenne pepper paste on the area to keep her away. She licked it off and then left the tree alone. Maybe enjoyed the spice. 60 lb mutt of a dog.

At a time when we were refurbishing rooms in the house, tearing the walls down to studs, lots of construction scraps around... I had taken out Airedale terrier out to do his business. As he pooped, he let out a yelp and a rather square deposit. I poked at the poop with a stick. Yes, he had eaten and passed a small wooden block. Ouch.

I had a lab when I would take it walking it would eat cigarette butts thrown on the ground. Lots of them - like he was hunting for them.
Friends lab had eaten the seat off his wife's bike, cover and foam. Ended at the vets pretty sick but made it. Something toxic in it.

Christmas tree ornaments especially the padded ones that look like elves. My brother's Boxer would take them and walk off with them, then try to eat them up. Also cocktail napkins off the table. No one would watch him except for me and he wasn't too happy when I kept taking those things out of his mouth.

Growing up our dog would eat the cat's food. To dogs it tastes like candy since it's so flavorful compared to the typical bland dog food. Not only the dry food but the canned food as well. She would lick those cans clean until you could hear the can rattling in the bowl then she would run off.

Dirty diapers, cat feces from a litter box, KFC, bones and all (was on night watch after that, ready to take her to 24 hour vet clinic at first sign of trouble), used Kleenex, sanitary napkins, and Combat roach bait (she got ipecac at the vet after that one).

Most of these incidents followed my ex-wife's poor supervision skills. My little Llasa Apso didn't get into stuff like this when I was around. She lived to the age of seventeen with very good health and vigor. Dogs are cute and loyal, however, they are still foul creatures! LOL

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
My sister was babysitting for some people years ago, and the family's dog did the classic eating crayons thing and pooped rainbows.

The spaniel used to do that one too.... frequently.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
When she was small my dog ate her own poop. She liked it. She was the runt apparently, and she probably survived eating poop. Now she is OK and doesn't like it. Many dogs like cat poop I guess which is disgusting. I guess they aren't picky eaters. Funny she is very particular about water if it is fresh clean filtered water she goes right to it and starts drinking. Now when she gets her food she looks at me with one paw up and I have to leave the room so she can eat in private, and I do. They are funny.

I also had a dog that did the guard/eat its own poop thing. Apparently, younger puppies and certain breeds this is common.

Our Golden Retriever never did that, but then again a Golden is a proper dog, and not an indoor one, either.

Labrador retriever #1 had a thing for phones. Two cordless phones and a cell phone. Not just gnawed on either, chewed into small enough pieces to be eaten and deposited out the other end...

Labrador #2 had a thing for anything leather. One Red wing work boot (only the sole left behind), one cowboy boot, and several pairs of leather winter gloves and work gloves...

Lab #3 has a thing for bird eggs and chicks... caught her eating duck eggs twice in the yard, and she's eaten at least two robins nests this year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back