What Happened To Johnny ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
frown.gif

Anyone who has been here for many years might agree with my opinion (maybe not). The intelligent members that contribute(ed) meaningful thread posts, whether its technical or just general off topic, get tired of the narcissistic nature of BITOG. They are smart enough to cut their ties and quit wasting valuable time here. As one member repeats over and over "I have better things to do with my time".

There are a few old time members that avoid all the trappings of BITOG and only contribute when they have something meaningful to share. Kestas and The Critic come to mind, as well as a few dozen others. Kudos to them.

That leaves the rest of us.

I frequent one other forum and the differences are extreme:

Buy a new car? Here, you are chastised if: your other car was only 3 years old, you financed the new one, you bought a brand not loved by everyone else, yada, yada, yada.

Talk health or diet? Here, anything outside of exercise, fitness, non processed food and you are again chastised or have to endure the self loving narcissist.

Television? Same ol' same ol'. Yet, posting here is better time appropriation. You know the drill.

Finances? D.O. ^^^^^^^^^^^

Beyond gleaning some good technical info here (there is a very broad cross section of experience), it's sad to say that I mostly visit for the entertainment value. Many good members have left.......the smart ones.

Put this in the Post Hall of Fame.

Thank you.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Anyone who has been here for many years might agree with my opinion (maybe not). The intelligent members that contribute(ed) meaningful thread posts, whether its technical or just general off topic, get tired of the narcissistic nature of BITOG. They are smart enough to cut their ties and quit wasting valuable time here. As one member repeats over and over "I have better things to do with my time".

There are a few old time members that avoid all the trappings of BITOG and only contribute when they have something meaningful to share. Kestas and The Critic come to mind, as well as a few dozen others. Kudos to them.

Buy a new car? Here, you are chastised if: your other car was only 3 years old, you financed the new one, you bought a brand not loved by everyone else, yada, yada, yada.

Talk health or diet? Here, anything outside of exercise, fitness, non processed food and you are again chastised or have to endure the self loving narcissist.

Television? Same ol' same ol'. Yet, posting here is better time appropriation. You know the drill.

Beyond gleaning some good technical info here (there is a very broad cross section of experience), it's sad to say that I mostly visit for the entertainment value. Many good members have left.......the smart ones.

Johnny was the reason I joined this site. He was full of knowledge and was willing to share it freely. He lives just north of me, and at one point had given me a list of his recommended quickie lubes in my area. Gasp! The horror....

I quit regularly frequenting this site about a year after he left. There is just too much "there is only one way to do things" mentality here. I still browse it because there is a ton of good information, but I take things more with a grain of salt. Just because everyone in a thread says to do X, it may not mean anything other than that is the flavor of the day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mjk

Thank you.

best post that I've seen in a long time.
i stated a similar thing, a few days back -- that the intelligent threads were disappearing faster than the middle class.almost all of my posts, in the last few years, thank posters for a laugh. as stated in the quote, it's (almost) all about the entertainment.

the site has evolved.in the last 2/3 years, (mostly)new members use bitog as a social media site. as a result, the intelligent threads have been disappearing. some start threads just to have someone to "talk to", since many threads could be avoided by using google.

but,it is what it is.we just have to laugh at the entertainment.
now, back to see merk's latest thread.have a good day, all.

Originally Posted By: yeti
Originally Posted By: mjk

Thank you.

best post that I've seen in a long time.
i stated a similar thing, a few days back -- that the intelligent threads were disappearing faster than the middle class.almost all of my posts, in the last few years, thank posters for a laugh. as stated in the quote, it's (almost) all about the entertainment.

the site has evolved.in the last 2/3 years, (mostly)new members use bitog as a social media site. as a result, the intelligent threads have been disappearing. some start threads just to have someone to "talk to", since many threads could be avoided by using google.

but,it is what it is.we just have to laugh at the entertainment.
now, back to see merk's latest thread.have a good day, all.

Yes, this is quite true. I give props to both Shannow and MolaKule in their attempts to keep some thought provoking threads with the potential for intelligent discussion going.

Very well written and 100% truth!

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
I think the trick is to share our knowledge and don't pay much/any attention to "feedback".

But I have to remember that in life a lot of feedback is shortsighted and some is enlightening.

Whether I'm upset and leave is my choice - not anyone else's.

Excellent advice. Thank you.

Wishing you a successful tomato season from across the river.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back