Brakes for 2012 Subaru Legacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
The brakes on my 2012 Subaru Legacy Premium (2.5i) are starting to squeak a little bit and I am getting some shake when I slow down coming off the highway. Sounds like new brakes are in the future for me, not surprised after 4+ years of mostly around town driving.

Anyhow, if I am going to replace the brakes might as well upgrade things…any suggestions for pads/rotors that are better than OEM for a 2.5i daily driver? Really want to get something with a little more stopping power, and of course no noise or dust.

Thanks for you insights, just don’t know a lot about brake/rotor manufactures.

You absolutely cannot have the best of everything by choosing a specific brake pad. Do you care if your pads have a shorter life?

I have a 2011 Legacy with 47,000 miles on the OEM pads. For everything you mentioned-I would stick with OEM/or equivalent pads. I don't really feel for our cars weight/performance rotors/pads of a higher caliber are going to make any big difference.

Last edited:
If you can find Wearever Platinum pads at AAP I have those on my Impreza and they're really nice, lock up the wheels pretty easily for a ceramic. I got a very fine layer of dust driving about 2500 miles with no car wash, so they're fairly low dust. Of course only having 3000 miles or so on them, I can't speak for the longevity, but they weren't too expensive. I believe well under $100 for a set that included shims and everything.

If there's shaking when you're braking I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you probably need new rotors too, or a resurface. Although a set of average rotors will probably be less than a resurfacing at a mechanic. Can't give you a recommendation there, wearever makes rotors too and based on their brake pads I would have no aversion to trying their rotors.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: horse123
If you can find Wearever Platinum pads at AAP I have those on my Impreza and they're really nice, lock up the wheels pretty easily for a ceramic. I got a very fine layer of dust driving about 2500 miles with no car wash, so they're fairly low dust. Of course only having 3000 miles or so on them, I can't speak for the longevity, but they weren't too expensive. I believe well under $100 for a set that included shims and everything.

Rebate available for a set of pads and rotors per axle. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/o/rebates#carquest_wearever

We use Akebono Pro Act pads at work almost 100% and they are by far the best we have ever used, Stop good, no hard on rotors no dust no noise and last longer than oe on every car we have put them on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back