Highway conditions in the Midwest

Status
Not open for further replies.
We would do well to abandon our system of bidding and building roads, and adopt a method used in Europe. There, they bid on a job. But come payment time, much of the money is set aside for warranty work, meaning, they get paid a good amount after the job is finished. But the remainder is paid over a number of years, unless it is used to repair the road. This system ensures a robust road is layed down.

Noticed the roads getting worse and going linger between repairs as well.

It actually is a minor factor for me when looking at vehicles. I feel that SUVs (right or wrong) have heavier duty suspensions than an average family sedan that can handle poorly maintained roads better.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: MNgopher
In short, the answer is the lack of funding for maintenance of the road network. I don't know the specifics of those states, but can point to the state I live in, MN, as an example of why things are falling apart...

I can go into a long rant about the funding of our road network, but its easiest just to state that funding has not kept up with the need to maintain and modernize. I can already hear the cries that we are overtaxed already, and in many ways, I don't disagree. The problem is where our taxes go - transportation used to be where a big chunk went, but on a percentage basis, that share has been decreasing as we fund a multitude of social and other programs. I won't debate the merits of that here, but just point out that is a problem.

On expansion joints, they are required in concrete to allow the concrete to expand and contract with the changes in temperature. While the actual amount the concrete expands and contracts is relatively small, the forces it generates when doing so are not. Without them, the road would buckle in random locations at random times in a random pattern. (Ever hear about a road buckling in hot weather? Happens all the time here...) Adding the joints in controls this movement, allows the concrete room to move, and essentially creates panels that can move relative to each other. We've even started to do this as preventative work on bituminous roads. Why are they so bad on the roads you describe? No idea. We have significantly changed how our concrete roads are built here, as we used to build them similar to what you described. I can guarantee that any concrete road you've driven on has joints - you just aren't noticing them on some.

On bridge deck approaches, the issues are often differential settlement of the approaches and the bridge itself. The bridge is usually anchored pretty well, but the soil approches often donlt get the same attention. And being different materials and types, they move and settle at different rates, and move at different rates with the frost and moisture changes as well. Paying better attention to them during construction and having tighter specs can alleviate a lot of this - but it costs money to build things right.

We also build roads by low bidder. Contractor comes in, builds the road to spec (or at least if they are honest or get caught trying to cut corners), and walks away. Other parts of the world include the maintenance - giving less of an incentive for the contractor to cheat - since they are going to need to maintain things down the road.

Long story short, we spend a lot of money on roads, but it isn't enough to keep pace with what we have in play today...

The expansion joints I'm referring to are actually on blacktop roads...I haven't encountered them as much on concrete...it's still puzzling as to why they seem to be built into the roads almost everywhere in MI, while they don't seem to be used much in the other Midwestern states I mentioned. What is different about Michigan's soil, climate, or whatever it is that requires them as opposed to other Midwestern states that don't make their roads with them? Or is it less expensive to build the roads with expansion joints as opposed to building them some other way without them?

I'm not a road worker, but I've seen enough being built out of car windows in my life, those blacktop roads you are mentioning have a layer of concrete with expansion joints under the blacktop. Gravel, concrete, blacktop.

Ad to why they're worse in MI, I don't know, but they have been my whole life. We used to rent a house up there for a week's vacation each summer, and you could instantly tell when you crossed the Ohio/ line, just from the road noise and feel...

I'm from Michigan. I have 70 years experience with the roads. The thing about expansion joints in blacktop roads is that the blacktop was put on top of old concrete roads as a low cost rework. The old pavement continues to heave an buckle and the blacktop just makes it worse. The only fix is to dig up everything down to the grade, re-ballast and build a new road with current engineering practices. One of the big problems is proper drainage. With Michigan's weather and geology, road building is a real challenge.

And there is your answer... Pay me now or pay me later, but you are going to pay... Bituminous overlays on a bad concrete base ends up like that...

And I actually do work on roads - designing them (well the drainage systems anyways...)

We have some areas we've done bituminous over concrete, but for the most part we either rip out the old and start new or do an unbonded concrete overlay - we've had better results with that than cheaping out...

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Sounds like you are asking for a tax increase?

IF the transportation funds are used ONLY for transportation for the greater good... And gross receipts aren't high enough, this is one of the few areas where taxation is a good idea.

Originally Posted By: ron17571
Try looking at your trailer and see if the springs are to much for the weight.In other words does the rig have enough give? Think about how much you actually carry.
The roads freezing and thawing is the problem. Sounds funny but i think earthquakes may have something to do with it.Central Ca. has nasty rough roads,I-5 makes stuff fall out of overhead compartments on big rigs.

My trailer doesn't have a suspension...the only suspension is that of the motorcycle, so you can imagine why it takes such a beating...

Screen-Shot-2015-05-05-at-11.44.50-AM.png

As you can see, MORE general fund money has been subsidizing road building lately. I don't particularly mind; the Romans realized that one cool thing about a central government is it builds roads so the citizens trade and prosper.

I don't care if the gov't invents the internet or runs the Post Office at a loss, either, as long as us citizens prosper.

But it's disingenuous to proclaim that gas taxes are being embezzled/ funnelled away.

Try looking at your trailer and see if the springs are to much for the weight.In other words does the rig have enough give? Think about how much you actually carry.
The roads freezing and thawing is the problem. Sounds funny but i think earthquakes may have something to do with it.Central Ca. has nasty rough roads,I-5 makes stuff fall out of overhead compartments on big rigs.

My trailer doesn't have a suspension...the only suspension is that of the motorcycle, so you can imagine why it takes such a beating...

Good grief, is a sprung trailer THAT expensive?

Originally Posted By: jcwit

Good grief, is a sprung trailer THAT expensive?

Cost isn't the limiting factor...weight is...I'm towing with a Corolla, so I need to keep the total towing weight as low as possible...the trailer I use now only weighs 140 lbs empty...with an 800 lb bike, that doesn't leave much room for additional trailer weight, and sprung trailers are considerably heavier...

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I guess we take the little things for granted.

Arizona has fantastic roads, they're in great shape. Of course there's some bad spots but they get the attention they need sooner or later. I heard somewhere that the percentage of money collected for roadwork in Arizona must be spent on roadwork, that that money cannot be dipped into for other things. And it shows.

I don't understand how ANY state can get away with spending ANY of the revenues collected for the roads on other things...aren't there other taxes collected for the "other things?" On the federal side, it's a lot like the social security revenues being spent on non-ss related things...those doing it should be hanged!

It's called "The General Fund"...created by lawmakers so they can raid money from Plan A to pay for Plan B. Kinda like Congress stealing from Social Security in the 60s to pay for the Vietnam War...then paying it back under Clinton but without interest....
mad.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
It is well known that infrastructure across the USA is crumbling. Those areas are known for having some pretty wide swings between summer and winter, lots of industry/heavy vehicle traffic, etc. I sure frost heaves and potholes are the norm. If transportation trust funds (or any trust funds for that matter) are raided, it's beyond treacherous.

60 Minutes did a segment on crumbling highway infrastructure in the USA. Many bridges have outlived their original design by a few decades.

Cost isn't the limiting factor...weight is...I'm towing with a Corolla, so I need to keep the total towing weight as low as possible...the trailer I use now only weighs 140 lbs empty...with an 800 lb bike, that doesn't leave much room for additional trailer weight, and sprung trailers are considerably heavier...

I though Corolla was 1,500lb towing? Just put on some electric brakes and a brake controller. Although that won't help much with wear and tear on the car, just on the towed load.

Originally Posted By: supton

I though Corolla was 1,500lb towing? Just put on some electric brakes and a brake controller. Although that won't help much with wear and tear on the car, just on the towed load.

Yes, the max towing rating is 1500 lbs, but after towing what I tow now with it, there's no way I'd want to be towing any more weight with it...

Yes, the max towing rating is 1500 lbs, but after towing what I tow now with it, there's no way I'd want to be towing any more weight with it...

I'd think you wouldn't notice the extra weight of a trailer with some springs. In theory it could be lighter as it doesn't need to be build to survive huge hits at highway speed without any give...

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I'd think you wouldn't notice the extra weight of a trailer with some springs. In theory it could be lighter as it doesn't need to be build to survive huge hits at highway speed without any give...

I doubt there's such a trailer that's sprung, weighs less than 140 lbs, and will handle an 800 lb motorcycle....

Technically this rated, but I'm not sure I would... Maybe with a 1" plywood deck it'd be ok, although I'd probably want to shore it up more, maybe weld the tilt mechanism in place.

Geez, that is cheap, cheaper than when I bought mine 10 years ago! I could stand to replace mine too, hmmm...

Edit: forgot that they have an even bigger version which should fit the bill.

Last edited:
Technically this rated, but I'm not sure I would... Maybe with a 1" plywood deck it'd be ok, although I'd probably want to shore it up more, maybe weld the tilt mechanism in place.

Geez, that is cheap, cheaper than when I bought mine 10 years ago! I could stand to replace mine too, hmmm...

That's the right size, I'd probably like to get a welded together in N.A. version from the local trailer dealer with reasonable axle and bearings. I see some of them are down to 200-250lbs. Then atleast you could carry a large appliance on it without destroying it, bouncing it 2' off the ground all the way home.

Those things are notorious for being weakly built and would require a lot of beefing up (which would make it even heavier) before I would trust one hauling my bike...the trailer I'm using now is rated for 2000 lbs and will safely haul a Boss Hoss...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back