A Tesla Model S on auto-pilot was in a fatal crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Question for all: you are driving on divided highway at traffic flow speed, suddenly a a tractor trailer drove across the highway on front of you, what are you going to do ? Brake hard ? Steer to left or right and a the same time brake too ?

Are we prepared for this type of accident ?

I stuffed the brake then modulated heavily while evasively changing lanes to avoid collision into a spot I knew was empty from having just checked my mirrors prior to the event. And this was in the Expedition a few years back. So to answer your question, yes, anybody should be, it is part of defensive driving.

These autopilots will go haywire and kill people. That scenario is coming next.

Don't get too hooked on this driverless technology. It's not going to be around in 5-10 more years. It won't be long before no insurance company offers liability insurance for it. The cost of replacing a victim's life will get too outrageous. Plus, it's just nearby when a parking scenario involving driverless vehicles kills someone.

Last edited:
The longer description does sound like the driver of the car wasn't paying attention. If it hit the trailer then it had been pulling out for quite some time. The first article made it sound (to me) like the truck hit the car on the side. The truck driver probably pulled out expecting the car to slow or stop for him. Probably got impatient waiting for a hole in cross traffic.
The fact that it couldn't discern it from the background is concerning. I thought they used radar on some other sensor, but I never looked too deeply into it as it doesn't really interest me in the least. If my car drove itself I would be bored out of my mind.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Its incredulous to me that someone with a cool car like that wouldnt want to drive it.

I agree. This is treating it like an appliance???!!!

Its incredulous to me that someone with a cool car like that wouldnt want to drive it.

Too cool to drive...

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I think the current Tesla's autopilot is more or less a smart cruise control. Tesla claims that driver needs to have their hands on steering wheel all the time and ready to take control at any moment.

Driving on a flat and straight highway isn't fun at all, that why the driver used autopilot.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
These autopilots will go haywire and kill people. That scenario is coming next.

Don't get too hooked on this driverless technology. It's not going to be around in 5-10 more years. It won't be long before no insurance company offers liability insurance for it. The cost of replacing a victim's life will get too outrageous. Plus, it's just nearby when a parking scenario involving driverless vehicles kills someone.

Check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_U.S._by_year

Autonomous vehicles will someday be the norm, it is just a matter of time. There are just too many people killed and seriously injured each year by vehicles that are controlled by people.

After autonomous vehicles are perfected no one will be able to get insurance to manually drive a vehicle on public roads.

Just found out that autopilot is a $2500 option. Noway I will pay that much for a smart cruise control, also I like to be in control of the car I am driving.

As of now, my guess is all 3 parties share the blame for the accident. Model S driver, tracker-trailer driver(and his insurance) and Tesla each shares about 1/3 responsibility.

I don't think pilots are sitting in the cockpit watching movies while the plane is on autopilot. Can a Tesla play a movie off the dash display while being in drive or autopilot or was the system modified to play movies by the owner?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I don't think pilots are sitting in the cockpit watching movies while the plane is on autopilot. Can a Tesla play a movie off the dash display while being in drive or autopilot or was the system modified to play movies by the owner?

Doesnt matter.... They were texting!
laugh.gif
(Maybe)

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

No, Tesla specifically addressed this issue, they said it is not possible to play any video and/or DVD on the 17" center console display.

I think the current Tesla's autopilot is more or less a smart cruise control. Tesla claims that driver needs to have their hands on steering wheel all the time and ready to take control at any moment.

Driving on a flat and straight highway isn't fun at all, that why the driver used autopilot.

I just have got to ask. What better things does one have to do?

If you ask the woman I passed driving the Malibu on I90 a week ago, its getting caught up on Netflix via a tablet held in front of the airbag.
Still regret not popping her with the spotlight.

I don't get it I guess. The car drives itself but you have to be ready to take the wheel at any moment. Which means you have to pay attention, so what's the point? Still just as boring.

Last edited:
No, Tesla specifically addressed this issue, they said it is not possible to play any video and/or DVD on the 17" center console display.

Cool... that explains why the guy had a portable DVD player in the car, allegedly watching Harry Potter while he wasn't paying attention and crashed into a semi-tractor trailer.

The truck driver, who was first on the scene, claims that Harry Potter was still playing after the crash. FHP confirmed a portable DVD player was found in the vehicle.

Quote:
"There was a portable DVD player in the vehicle," said Sergeant Kim Montes of the Florida Highway Patrol in a telephone interview.

Too bad Tesla didn't choose to equip their vehicle with some type of driver monitoring system to ensure drivers are paying attention while Autopilot is active... like every other automaker has planned.

That's what you get in a "public beta" I guess: A liability warning and a system that has a blind spot large enough to hide a semi trailer.

Does Tesla's Autopilot Suffer From A Dangerous Blind Spot?

Question for all: you are driving on divided highway at traffic flow speed, suddenly a a tractor trailer drove across the highway on front of you, what are you going to do ? Brake hard ? Steer to left or right and a the same time brake too ?

Are we prepared for this type of accident ?

I stuffed the brake then modulated heavily while evasively changing lanes to avoid collision into a spot I knew was empty from having just checked my mirrors prior to the event. And this was in the Expedition a few years back. So to answer your question, yes, anybody should be, it is part of defensive driving.

X2.

Several years ago I was a lane over from and behind a truck hauling a bunch of scrap metal on the interstate, traffic flow was around 70 MPH. A metal bumper fell off the scrap metal truck, bounced, then landed directly in front of my 1995 2-door 4x4 Explorer on 31" tires...I hit the brakes, then went for the grass median since that was the only open spot. My head hit the roof as the Explorer bounded down the median, but I didn't wreck. I didn't even stop, I just pulled back on the road when it was safe to do so. The driver of the scrap metal truck probably saw what happened because they hauled [censored] out of there.

Not every wreck can be avoided like that, but being present and aware goes a long way towards making it out of something like that. The current technology is way too beta to be absolutely trusted.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I'm not a fan of Musk, but if the investigators prove that this driver was watching a movie on a portable DVD, then this should release Tesla from any libility.IMO

As previously mentioned, they should have a system that actively monitors the drivers...one hand on the wheel, eye flicker and location, all of that.

If he can watch a DVD, fall asleep, have a heart attack and die quietly then they have failed in addressing a basic need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back