Indian head shellac or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I've got two gaskets that im replacing in my 81 240D. One is a rubber valve cover gasket that gets changed whenever doing a valve adjustment. I also have an oil pan gasket that is original. I've run synthetic in the car for 5-6 years, but now it is starting to seep, so it gets a new paper gasket.

So, should either of these get any sort of dressing, grease, shellac, sealant, etc?

Of course the parts stores are loaded with this stuff....

Thanks!

I was told to use Indian head shellac on my rear main seal bearing cap. Ended up using Ultra Black RTV on that and the oil pan gasket.

Is there a rubber oil pan gasket? I like the rubber gaskets for when stuff has to come off. Way easier than scraping a paper or cork one.

I never used any product on the 240D valve cover gasket, and I never had a leak. Just use a new gasket.

More importantly, do you have the wrench setup to adjust the valves? Takes three, two very thin metric wrenches with an offset to loosen the lock and adjuster nuts and one odd valve spring retainer wrench to keep it all from turning...not an expensive set, but absolutely necessary...

Install rubber gaskets dry, you might need some RTV to seal the corners or apexes of the gasket.

I like Permatex high-tack for paper and cork.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I never used any product on the 240D valve cover gasket, and I never had a leak. Just use a new gasket.

More importantly, do you have the wrench setup to adjust the valves? Takes three, two very thin metric wrenches with an offset to loosen the lock and adjuster nuts and one odd valve spring retainer wrench to keep it all from turning...not an expensive set, but absolutely necessary...

I've never used anything on my w123 valve covers, just replace. I've owned four 123s, hundreds of thousands of miles... So quite a few valve adjustments. I have the real hazet tools for that (and injectors and lines).

I just saw all these sealants and conditioners the other day, which sparked my curiosity. I've never typically given them any thought.

No reason to use any kind of sealant on a "rubber" gasket." If the rubber gasket isn't pliable enough to conform to the irregularities in the mating surfaces,the sealant isn't going to help.

The sealant is supposed to help keep the rubber from drying out and hardening.

Now on a silicone gasket, that's different; those get coated with engine oil to aid in installation and that's it.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The sealant is supposed to help keep the rubber from drying out and hardening.

Now on a silicone gasket, that's different; those get coated with engine oil to aid in installation and that's it.

That's what peaked my interest. The stuff I saw at aap indicated that it conditioned seals.

The w123 gasket seals fine, but they do dry out and weep over time.

Heh heh Permatex Aviation Forma Gasket comes in 2 consistencies. Thick and gooey in a tube or paint on with a swab. It is the bee's knees for sealing anything, oil, water or fuel related

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back