Clay Based HTB Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.

SR5

So I have about 500 grams of Castrol HTB grease. It's a Bentone clay, high temperature bearing grease, NLGI 2, stable up to 200 C (390F).

OK, so obviously it's good for wheel bearings, and I know it does not play well with other greases, like lithium chassis grease.

I'm just looking for ideas for other places I can use it, not anywhere that would cause confusion, like where people would expect to find a lithium grease. Not instead of the proper grease when required.

What is it like with water ?
Could it be used as a type of anti-seize in non-critical, lower temperature applications ?

Just looking for some ideas of where to use it, since I have it and I'm not pulling many wheel bearings apart now days.

Last edited:
It was the go to grease back in the day for front wheel bearings...I even used it on my drum braked LC, where plain old Lithium COULD be used, but the disk braked needed clay.

I'm at a loss as to what you could do with it other than sit it on the mantlepiece these days.

Wheel bearing reliability used to be shocking in hindsight.

So I'm thinking of using this HTB as a general assembly grease for household jobs. Any problems with that ?
You know, bolts on out door furniture, some old brass hose fittings, stuff like that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back