Cummins: Standpipe in fuel filter needed or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Cummins and Fleetguard fail to release StrataPore versions of the FS1280 and FF5052 used on tons of B and C series engines, so I am going to "pick" some alternatives for a 95 HP 4BT, based on the data I have been collecting.

The FS19617 is "my" 10 Micron StrataPore replacement for the FS1280.

To replace the FF5052 with a 3 - 5 micron filter, there are 3 options I know of. Too bad they all lack one feature or another:

FF5442: Perfect data, but no standpipe and most likely no center gasket included.
FF5461: Has a standpipe, but to my knowledge, no center gasket either.
FF5444: Has a cross type dual gasket, but you guessed it, no standpipe.

I am not too thrilled about having to maintain an inventory of separate gaskets to be able to use the FF5461. So my question for you is, do I need a standpipe in a fuel filter that points downwards like most?

From what I understand, the standpipe does not keep fuel from flowing in either direction, but would retain air bubbles. Now, where would this air come from? Leaky return and injector overflow lines allowing it to enter the rotary pump?

You'll need to decide whether you're looking for a fuel/water separator, or a fuel only filter.

StrataPore is old news.

They've gone to newer technology...

"Trapping 98.7 percent of all particles as small as 4 microns (12 times smaller than the smallest particle visible to the human eye) means that NanoNet is ten times more effective at hard particle removal than the next best competitive product—Fleetguard’s own StrataPore media."

FS1251 is the upgrade for FF5052.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
You'll need to decide whether you're looking for a fuel/water separator, or a fuel only filter.

StrataPore is old news.

They've gone to newer technology...

"Trapping 98.7 percent of all particles as small as 4 microns (12 times smaller than the smallest particle visible to the human eye) means that NanoNet is ten times more effective at hard particle removal than the next best competitive product—Fleetguard’s own StrataPore media."

FS1251 is the upgrade for FF5052.

It's a dual filter setup, the FS1280 is the primary filter and fuel/water separator, the FF5052 is the secondary. Like I said, tons, if not a million of B and C engines use them that way.

To be honest with you, YOUR FS1251 "upgrade" is OLD NEWS and totally pointless!

The FS1280, FF5052 and FS1251 are all 96 percent efficient at 20 or so microns and Fleetguard's cellulose fuel/water separators remove no more than 90 percent emulsified water. In other words, they are equally outdated.

Also, why copy-paste their marketing hype? Based on this times ten claim, StrataPore is no more efficient than 87 percent at 4 microns in that particular comparison. Like always, a useless statement with no reference to the actual test setup and conditions.

By the way, are you able to answer my original questions?

Last edited:
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

It is my understanding that A Standpipe allows fuel to be drawn from the bottom of the filter where entrained air is less likely to be present, Air entrainment isn't a huge issue on the Diesels I work on in 2500/3500 pick-ups. But industrial applications may differ.

The Standpipes I have ran across, Are built into the filter head, Not the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back