1991 Clean Acura NSX with some mods for $45k

Status
Not open for further replies.
No matter which model the car is it is still a Honda, Not worth lots of money .

Do you buy a product or you buy a name ?

Do you know Lexus SC400 of the 90's killed BMW 840i ? SC400 was a much better car vs 840i for less money. Yes, Lexus is a Toyota with different name but consumers didn't care about brand, they knew which one was better and they bought SC400 instead of over-priced 840i.

To you, BMW is better than Toyota(Lexus in this case) therefore 840i is better than SC400, right ?

Originally Posted By: CT8

Here's a Toyota that sold for $1.3 million in 2013. I saw another one that sold for $900,000.

Did it even need a new clutch? Listening to him he states he didn't know how many miles were on the original clutch when he bought it, that he was going to lend the car to someone and didn't want the clutch to fail, then has the Acura dealer do the clutch job. Sounds like a fool and his money are soon separated. The dealer saw him coming from a mile away. I guess he forgot to ask for the estimate before the work was done.

Originally Posted By: Xeno
NSX isn't as lower maintenance as you think.

$5,500 for a clutch job.

How much is a Ferrari clutch job at an authorized Ferrari dealer ? How about Porsche 911 or Lambo ... ?

Lower cost isn't the same as low cost. It is just lower than other cars in its class.

Also, a dealer may charges this much but others may charge more or less. I don't know the details, but I am sure that cost of maintenance/repair an Acura NSX is lower than Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Lotus ... Also, NSX is more reliable than other makers therefore the total repair over 5 or 10 years should be much lower.

Plus that NSX with the clutch job is modified with a lowered suspension. I mean come on it's already low enough from the factory.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

$5,500 for a clutch job.

How much is a Ferrari clutch job at an authorized Ferrari dealer ? How about Porsche 911 or Lambo ... ?

Lower cost isn't the same as low cost. It is just lower than other cars in its class.

Also, a dealer may charges this much but others may charge more or less. I don't know the details, but I am sure that cost of maintenance/repair an Acura NSX is lower than Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Lotus ... Also, NSX is more reliable than other makers therefore the total repair over 5 or 10 years should be much lower.

Most people buying this kind of car don't care about cost of ownership, if you're concerned about that you aren't buying an exotic or near exotic...

If you look at those NSX for sale ads nearly every single one mentions "NSX master certified tech" or some speciality place... That tells me you aren't getting this thing serviced at any ol' place any more than for instance a Sprinter at any ol MB dealer.

$5,500 for a clutch job.

Did you watch the video? The guy owns a bunch of exotics and other heavily modified super cars, and EVEN HE thinks it's overpriced.

FWIW, for a 1991 it is a dual disc clutch and appears to be serviced only as a complete set @ ~$1950.00 list or ~$1365.00 discounted.

Other parts like brake pads and so forth seem not too bad... Still bet unless you're in a high rent district folks are going to balk at working on it...

$5,500 for a clutch job.

Did you watch the video? The guy owns a bunch of exotics and other heavily modified super cars, and EVEN HE thinks it's overpriced.

Quote:
I was quoted by Ferrari of Seattle yesterday: "$9,000.00 + Tax. (($3K is labor, $6K in parts)). The quote does not include flywheel which is an additional $1,700.00 if needed."
So we are looking at around $12,000.00 including tax.

Quote:
Just had my clutch done (1 week ago) from Foreign Cars Italia. Here is the breakdown;

Clutch Kit $1,500
Labor $2,000
Gear Oil $125
Engine Oil $127
Shop Supplies $55

Tax at 7% $122.21

Total $3,932

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430...ment-costs.html

I said "a dealer may charges this much but others may charge more or less"

2 Ferrari 360 owners had 2 quotes: $9,000 plus tax vs $3,930 tax included. One dealer is more than double the other, in this case an independent shop specialized in Italian cars. If you searching "Ferrari clutch job" you will find huge price different between dealers for the same job of the same car.

Similar to Acura dealers, one dealer may rape you while the other may be reasonable.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Here's a Toyota that sold for $1.3 million in 2013. I saw another one that sold for $900,000.

For a car that looks like the results of an Avanti and an E-Type copulating at Chornobyl...there really IS one born every minute. That thing is hideous.

$5,500 for a clutch job.

Serious question: how much would a clutch job be in a ~2005 BMW M3, or even a ZO6 Corvette?

Do you buy a product or you buy a name ?

Do you know Lexus SC400 of the 90's killed BMW 840i ? SC400 was a much better car vs 840i for less money. Yes, Lexus is a Toyota with different name but consumers didn't care about brand, they knew which one was better and they bought SC400 instead of over-priced 840i.

To you, BMW is better than Toyota(Lexus in this case) therefore 840i is better than SC400, right ?

Its true! The 8-series E31 was BMW flagship model and they discontinued it in 1997 because nobody wanted a 5-series-based coupe. Sales, or lack of, and a company will stop making even its supposed best car. Even the 850i, then 850ci 1993 forward, then 850csi, an unofficial M car. And Der Bolide model of same was never released, though supposedly developed.

1991-1997. And the maintenance on those if something went was the turn off. Thats the kind of car that made the NSX attractive, marketed in North America as an Acura. And it also debuted in 1991. Same as the 8-series. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_8_Series

It might not be the high-speed animal a powerful V8 or perhaps a V12 can be, but a well-kept NSX is a great car. Hurts to see one go over rough roads or potholes but occasionally you see one and I would rather have it than even a Lotus, unless I was filthy rich and money was of no concern. Then I would have both.

It is a Honda 3.0L V6, its as close to a Ferrari or Lotus as some will ever get and its not a bad car. Maintenance on a Honda 3.0L V6 is not horrible. Period. Also. It made Ferrari look embarrased on its 355...

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/...comparison-test

1995-acura-nsx-t-vs-dodge-viper-rt-10-ferrari-f355-lotus-esprit-s4s-porsche-911-turbo-archived-comparison-test-car-and-driver-photo-544979-s-429x262.jpg

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

$5,500 for a clutch job.

Serious question: how much would a clutch job be in a ~2005 BMW M3, or even a ZO6 Corvette?

The clutch job on my M5 was $2,500 but I had the RMS done at the same time. The clutch itself was around $400? A different BMW dealer was willing to do the entire job for just under $1K.

Originally Posted By: OilyWaterMIXER
It is a Honda 3.0L V6, its as close to a Ferrari or Lotus as some will ever get and its not a bad car. Maintenance on a Honda 3.0L V6 is not horrible. Period. Also. It made Ferrari look embarrased on its 355...

Embarrassed? The 355 is one of the greatest Ferraris of all time.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Originally Posted By: OilyWaterMIXER

Embarrassed? The 355 is one of the greatest Ferraris of all time.

? Relative.. Its a good one. Opinions vary. Some dont like the steering, and the NSX sent Ferrari back to the drawing board to eventually make the 360 and went from there. I like the way the 355 looks. Id also feel better behind the wheel of a Ferrari than a US-market upscale Honda but NSXs cost what unloved Ferrari 400i and 412i does..

I may be thinking of the 348, forgot they had that one.

Better an NSX than an S2000...

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

For a car that looks like the results of an Avanti and an E-Type copulating at Chornobyl...there really IS one born every minute. That thing is hideous.

AGREED, but they are going by the 'rarity factor' thing.

Kind of like the over-inflated prices sellers are getting for the MKIV TT Supras, even beat up and modded ones, albeit on a lesser scale, since there were many more made than the 2000s.

They would not even DARE ask those ridiculous prices IF these 'Nippon Supercars' were as common as the C4 Vettes of their day, which they competed against in that market.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back