Any here storage your old License Plate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
You are worried about scratching your old license plates?

There is a market for old license plates. It is a hobby, for some it is to decorate the man cave, or garage.

I've seen some impressive plate collections, all states and most of the special plates(some are really rare)

I just keep moving the old one to the new vehicle. I can almost remember the number now, haha. I used collect license plates when I was a kid, but I don't know where that collection went. I stored them in a cardboard box.
I had a NWT polar bear plate too.

Mine generally go into the scrap metal bin, that having been said, if you want to protect your old plates, perhaps wrap them up in newspaper and place in a box or filing cabinet.

The only one I've saved is the one that hung in my Dad's garage in the 1960's. I assumed it was from his father....Connecticut 1915 green plate. It now sits on a shelf in my garage.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

I hang mine up.

You really go above and beyond huh
grin.gif
, can you tell me more about the story behind it ?

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug

I hang mine up.

grin.gif

I agree.
It looks like the Plate is illuminated, I see a Power Cord going to it.

My old Plates are junk by the time I get rid of them.
Here in New York, we have the 'older' Liberty plates and the 'newer' gold colored.
The 'gold' colored are more money at Registration time, so I just keep using the 'older' plates.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork

I hang mine up.

grin.gif

I agree.

Yup. I have a custom capacitve dropper power supply I made from scrap computer power supplies feeding a Sylvania 194 LED in the factory housing.
The trunk panel and plate is from my 2004 CVLX that I put in a ditch and rolled. That trunk panel was the only good exterior part on the whole car. Literally even the taillights suffered damage.
Think of it as a headstone or something.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork

I hang mine up.

grin.gif

I agree.

Yup. I have a custom capacitve dropper power supply I made from scrap computer power supplies feeding a Sylvania 194 LED in the factory housing.
The trunk panel and plate is from my 2004 CVLX that I put in a ditch and rolled. That trunk panel was the only good exterior part on the whole car. Literally even the taillights suffered damage.
Think of it as a headstone or something.

Hats off to your homage of that car. Very happy you werent hurt.

We turn them in in MA. Once you cancel the registration plates go back to the RMV.
New registration = new plates.

I wish I could have kept some of the old ones.

My old deleted ones had the prefix of "Z28" on them. A Camaro collector said he wanted them once I had to replace them. I need to dig them out and give them to him.

When I moved to this state, I kept my old Joyzee plates since they were vanity plates I did not want to give up, just in case I ever have to move back there.

The same number/letter combo was already taken in Pa., so I could not get that plate.
frown.gif
mad.gif

(See the cover of Robert Earl Keen's album titled "Picnic", which is referring to Willie Nelson's annual gathering, where that photo was taken, to see what I had, only in the Garden State version.)

I've kept all of mine for the last 20+ years. They're on the wall in the garage...even the paper temporary ones. I had one from 1965 on my old Barracuda that I let go with the car. I should have kept that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back