Oil life monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
The engine.

What specifically about the engine caused them to adjust their OLM's?

My point is if you're going to make your own oil classification, charge others to carry that label, promote it...then it had better be able to handle the demands of your own vehicles.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
A few years ago someone here posted a link to a document explaining the GM system in detail. for the most part, these systems are using an algorithym to calculate considering: miles, rpm, engine load, temperature, drive time, etc. The monitors have no idea what type of oil you are using and are not performing any type of oil analysis. I believe that Mercedes, and certainly others, have researched using actual oil condition monitors. IIRC, Volkswagen had an issue years ago because their OLM's were set to assume synthetic oil - which is commonly used in Germany - and here in the US many engines were ruined until the OLM was reprogrammed.

In my 2015 Outlander, the OLM is settable to five or nine months, based on type of oil used. It's somewhere in the manual how to do it, I don't worry about that though, run full syn OCI's from the dealership, and let them take care of the monitor. I go in when my little wrench oil change symbol comes on.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Originally Posted By: tomcat27
A few years ago someone here posted a link to a document explaining the GM system in detail. for the most part, these systems are using an algorithym to calculate considering: miles, rpm, engine load, temperature, drive time, etc. The monitors have no idea what type of oil you are using and are not performing any type of oil analysis. I believe that Mercedes, and certainly others, have researched using actual oil condition monitors. IIRC, Volkswagen had an issue years ago because their OLM's were set to assume synthetic oil - which is commonly used in Germany - and here in the US many engines were ruined until the OLM was reprogrammed.

In my 2015 Outlander, the OLM is settable to five or nine months, based on type of oil used. It's somewhere in the manual how to do it, I don't worry about that though, run full syn OCI's from the dealership, and let them take care of the monitor. I go in when my little wrench oil change symbol comes on.
smile.gif

You don't worry about it and just come in when the little wrench comes on? The only rather huge problem with that is that if you don't actually open up your hood and check your actual oil level, you could be driving around for thousands of miles with your engine low on oil. And depending on what the manufacturer determines is "normal" oil consumption, that could mean 2-3 quarts low. Keep doing that and it will take rather big wrenches to keep you driving.

If you check your oil level periodically and go by the monitor, then yeah, everything should be ok, if not? You could easily end up replacing your engine before it reaches 50,000 miles depending on how much your engine consumes between changes. I know BMW is having all sorts of engine problems because of their oil change interval and customers who think they only have to worry about bringing the old car in when the maintenance light turns on.

I drive a '15 Chevy Volt. This means that I can go for weeks at a time without actually running the engine. And, the owners manual says that you need to change the oil every 2 years (~100 weeks) at the very least. And, predictably, my oil life decreases by 1% every week whether I use the engine or not. Since I don't use the engine much, my oil change interval is entirely calendar driven.

Just one more data point for y'all!

Originally Posted By: doublebase

You don't worry about it and just come in when the little wrench comes on? The only rather huge problem with that is that if you don't actually open up your hood and check your actual oil level, you could be driving around for thousands of miles with your engine low on oil. And depending on what the manufacturer determines is "normal" oil consumption, that could mean 2-3 quarts low. Keep doing that and it will take rather big wrenches to keep you driving.

If you check your oil level periodically and go by the monitor, then yeah, everything should be ok, if not? You could easily end up replacing your engine before it reaches 50,000 miles depending on how much your engine consumes between changes. I know BMW is having all sorts of engine problems because of their oil change interval and customers who think they only have to worry about bringing the old car in when the maintenance light turns on.

I check it sporadically (and look under it every morning for puddles), but, I can basically sum it up in one word: Warranty. Ten years. Dealer serviced and maintained, right down to the scheduled intervals (including transfer case OCI's). It's either going to be the dealer or manufacturer who pays if it fails. Because let's be honest, 50% of today's car buyers couldn't properly check their dipstick if their lives depended on it, anyways.

That CVT is actually the worrisome part of the package. Although I love the fuel mileage.
smile.gif

I check it sporadically (and look under it every morning for puddles), but, I can basically sum it up in one word: Warranty. Ten years. Dealer serviced and maintained, right down to the scheduled intervals (including transfer case OCI's). It's either going to be the dealer or manufacturer who pays if it fails. Because let's be honest, 50% of today's car buyers couldn't properly check their dipstick if their lives depended on it, anyways.

That CVT is actually the worrisome part of the package. Although I love the fuel mileage.
smile.gif

Gotcha, sounds like you're covered in many different directions. Even if you don't check it, your warranty will cover it.

Originally Posted By: kohnen
I drive a '15 Chevy Volt. This means that I can go for weeks at a time without actually running the engine. And, the owners manual says that you need to change the oil every 2 years (~100 weeks) at the very least. And, predictably, my oil life decreases by 1% every week whether I use the engine or not. Since I don't use the engine much, my oil change interval is entirely calendar driven.

Someone was just talking to me about the Volt yesterday...said the deals on used Volts right now are unbelievable, that you can pick one up for around 10k and that if the gas prices climb again you can sell it tomorrow for 18k. I found that kind of interesting and probably true.

smile.gif

Gotcha, sounds like you're covered in many different directions. Even if you don't check it, your warranty will cover it.

It's the Caravan I need to be much more diligent about.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Kuato
I have a 2015 F350 gasser and it bothers me a bit.
I'm really beginning to think its solely based on time as it drops rapidly by the week no matter if I drive it or not. Like 2% a week. I have 218 miles on the fresh oil change and its now 86%- I'll get used to it- lol

Yup! I ignore the calendar and use mileage...going 10k this change and will have a UOA....

Originally Posted By: kohnen

Someone was just talking to me about the Volt yesterday...said the deals on used Volts right now are unbelievable, that you can pick one up for around 10k and that if the gas prices climb again you can sell it tomorrow for 18k. I found that kind of interesting and probably true.

The asking prices for 2013 Volts here in Utah are floating between $15,000 and 16,000 with about 35,000 miles or so on them. Don't know if you could get one for 10K but I'm sure you could get a discount off those asking prices.

Kuato
I'm really beginning to think its solely based on time as it drops rapidly by the week no matter if I drive it or not. Like 2% a week. I have 218 miles on the fresh oil change and its now 86%- I'll get used to it- lol

If you don't put enough engine revolutions on it you will default to the 12 month maximum. It That's why it is dropping 2% a week.

The IOLM on the Mustang and F150 keep up with start cycles, avg load, avg coolant temp, engine time, idle time, avg torque, etc.

It will only default to a simple counter if you are averaging less than 10,000 miles a year or the algorithm is calling for over 10,000 miles before an oil change.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
Kuato

If you don't put enough engine revolutions on it you will default to the 12 month maximum. It That's why it is dropping 2% a week.

The IOLM on the Mustang and F150 keep up with start cycles, avg load, avg coolant temp, engine time, idle time, avg torque, etc.

It will only default to a simple counter if you are averaging less than 10,000 miles a year or the algorithm is calling for over 10,000 miles before an oil change.

+1

Actual data from Honda:
An oil deterioration monitoring system has been developed to enable the necessary intervals between oil changes to be judged with greater accuracy. The system calculates oil life using an oil deterioration algorithm. When the figure reaches a predetermined value, the meter displays a recommendation for oil change. The algorithm first estimates oil temperature, a parameter of the oil deterioration coefficient. The coefficient and engine speed are then used to calculate how much of the oil’s usable life has been expended. The oil deterioration coefficient, which is dependent on oil temperature, was found from oil life in endurance tests conducted with oil at differing average temperatures. A market survey was conducted to verify the applicability of the measure to a variety of driving modes, and results were reflected in calculations of oil life. It has been demonstrated that this system is successful in enabling U.S. users to change their oil at more appropriate intervals.

Read up: Engine Oil Deterioration Monitoring System 2003

I generally change my oil every 5k. But i did use the oil life monitor once o. My 09 silverado and when it went to 5% it had almlst 7500 miles on it. It does use a little oil but thats probably the active fuel managements fault.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Last Wednesday night my oil was almost black at 2995 miles. OLM was at 25 percent. I have no idea how you guys can stand to wait until 5000 miles.

I don't think that any oil analysis lab or engineer program an OLM factored in oil colour, that's why.
whistle.gif
I suggest we start a funding page where we can all chip in and buy Merk a diesel truck. He'll be requiring a sedative in less than a week.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
I suggest we start a funding page where we can all chip in and buy Merk a diesel truck. He'll be requiring a sedative in less than a week.
wink.gif

He wouldn't be able to run it long enough for it to darken, even being a diesel. He would never be able to abide by all that clatter!

Originally Posted By: LotI
Actual data from Honda:
An oil deterioration monitoring system has been developed to enable the necessary intervals between oil changes to be judged with greater accuracy. The system calculates oil life using an oil deterioration algorithm. When the figure reaches a predetermined value, the meter displays a recommendation for oil change. The algorithm first estimates oil temperature, a parameter of the oil deterioration coefficient. The coefficient and engine speed are then used to calculate how much of the oil’s usable life has been expended. The oil deterioration coefficient, which is dependent on oil temperature, was found from oil life in endurance tests conducted with oil at differing average temperatures. A market survey was conducted to verify the applicability of the measure to a variety of driving modes, and results were reflected in calculations of oil life. It has been demonstrated that this system is successful in enabling U.S. users to change their oil at more appropriate intervals

Read up: Engine Oil Deterioration Monitoring System 2003

Seeing as how the article was written in 03, I imagine that's the formulas used in their oil life monitors now?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back