Car&Driver opinion on Toyota weird styling

Status
Not open for further replies.
The salesman at the local Toyota dealer said today they haven't sold a new Prius in two months. He blamed it on the low gas prices. They have about eight of them in stock.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I think it looks great, both inside and out.

Looks a lot like a Hyundai Veloster, from the side anyway.

2016-Toyota-C-HR-104-876x535.jpg

lead2-2013-hyundai-veloster-turbo-fd.jpg

Just a few years really can make a difference. When the veloster was revealed, it got a lot of heat by how "crazy" the exterior design was... Compare it now to this new Toyota and it looks pretty normal for today.

I have to say that I don't like it at all. I just think it's ugly and way too busy. Toyotas been doing this a lot nowadays and it's definitely getting more 'in your face'.

I am all for an exterior design that goes against what's out there, but I think the best designs are the ones that remain looking good on the road regardless of the year or even decade.

Just a few years really can make a difference. When the veloster was revealed, it got a lot of heat by how "crazy" the exterior design was... Compare it now to this new Toyota and it looks pretty normal for today.

I have to say that I don't like it at all. I just think it's ugly and way too busy. Toyotas been doing this a lot nowadays and it's definitely getting more 'in your face'.

I am all for an exterior design that goes against what's out there, but I think the best designs are the ones that remain looking good on the road regardless of the year or even decade. [/quote]

I guess that;'s why someone on another Crown Vic lovefest thread called the "new to him (OP)" Crown Vic beautiful.........it must be in the eye of the beholder!

For years many people complained about the bland styling of cars. Well not anymore. Now they complain about them being odd. Some people like to complain a lot. Many of the complainers can't even afford new cars, so they don't look so bad taking the bus. All of them looking at me at the bus stop like I'm supposed to offer them a ride or something......................................dumb dumbs.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
For years many people complained about the bland styling of cars. Well not anymore. Now they complain about them being odd. Some people like to complain a lot. Many of the complainers can't even afford new cars, so they don't look so bad taking the bus. All of them looking at me at the bus stop like I'm supposed to offer them a ride or something......................................dumb dumbs.

I do agree there are a lot of old cars owned by BITOG members. Your comments are qualified when you say "I would never own one-Or I would never drive one" if you haven't purchased a late model car in the last 25 to 30 years. OR, you participate in the Crown Vic lovefests that pop up every now and then.

Last edited:
I know a guy who bought a series of black Lincoln Town Cars. When gas prices started creeping up to $3.50 per gallon he traded it in on a new Prius. He bought the bigger one and I think it was around $28k or so.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
For years many people complained about the bland styling of cars. Well not anymore. Now they complain about them being odd.

You're pretty sure it's the same people? Maybe it's 2 different groups of whiners which would make more sense.

Last May Prius sale was double digits less than year ago, last June is the same with sale dropped 26% from June last year.

Quote:
Prius dropped 26.7 percent, despite a new hybrid hatchback, to 11,027. Toyota sold 40 Mirai fuel-cell models.

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/june-2...rry-automakers/

Chevy Volt isn't exactly Prius competitor, one is hybrid and the other is plug-in hybrid, Chevy Volt last June sold 58% more than last year, YTD sale up 75%.

2016 Chevy Volt has better styling for both exterior and interior and more room too. That is why their sale increase substantial even when gas price is low.

Quote:
And for June, some 1,937 Volts were sold, which were up some 58% compared to when 1,225 were sold.

Year-to-date 9,808 sales have been registered, which is a 74.% improvement over the 5,622 sold in 2015.

http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-volt-sales-june-2016/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back