OTC additives and products - what do we know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a sneaking suspicion that the OTC additive manufacturers would rather that the market not change and that buyer behavior not change either. I believe they are perfectly happy with the way things are. Very few people actually knowing what they are buying and not questioning the data they spew. So, if you are looking for information from them with regards to this revolution you seek, I would look elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
I have a sneaking suspicion that the OTC additive manufacturers would rather that the market not change and that buyer behavior not change either. I believe they are perfectly happy with the way things are. Very few people actually knowing what they are buying and not questioning the data they spew. So, if you are looking for information from them with regards to this revolution you seek, I would look elsewhere.

Well said.

The OP could buy one product per week and have it analyzed by Blackstone to get the basic viscosity and elemental readings. But even that won't tell you what is hidden within.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Well said.

The OP could buy one product per week and have it analyzed by Blackstone to get the basic viscosity and elemental readings. But even that won't tell you what is hidden within.

That's actually what I am curious about now going forward.
It seems like VOA's for elemental readings have been around for quite some time.

Oils and oil additives have now progressed beyond basic elemental additives and quantities, sometimes utilizing many different techniques, perhaps down to molecular structures and delivery systems, perhaps even masking agents? Not sure.

Why haven't techniques for analysis of contents evolved with the evolving marketed products?
Just curious if we will ever be able to see anything beyond basic elemental readings without paying an arm n' a leg.

I would be curious if there was some compounded list of these potentially "hidden" compounds, structures, and techniques that do not show up on standard VOA's.
Otherwise it seems like the information I seek is just really spread out and all over the place.

and narrowing down which company and which products utilize what, is really a pain in the butt.

Not that any of it really matters from a general use stand point, but for me personally, I enjoy learning.

Last edited:
look at organic oil additives. It's a mighty big group, but if they don't use some element that's scanned for in an oil analysis, they're all invisible. And if they do use one, you only know about that element being there, but not in what form

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
look at organic oil additives. It's a mighty big group, but if they don't use some element that's scanned for in an oil analysis, they're all invisible. And if they do use one, you only know about that element being there, but not in what form

Precisely; it is possible to pick out some compounds using combinations of different analysis, but even then there is some degree of guesswork required and you rarely can be 100% certain of what you are seeing.

Exact elemental quantities are fairly easy to quantify, but molecular configurations and their quantities are very difficult to ascertain. At least in any way I am aware of.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

Precisely; it is possible to pick out some compounds using combinations of different analysis, but even then there is some degree of guesswork required and you rarely can be 100% certain of what you are seeing.

Exact elemental quantities are fairly easy to quantify, but molecular configurations and their quantities are very difficult to ascertain. At least in any way I am aware of.

Future of DIY:
Independent/individual research, laboratory, and chemical analysis equipment utilized for independent/individual consumer awareness, product effectiveness and quality testing prior to use.

LOL... jk....but at this rate with the lack of direct information available: maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back